Author Topic: Help with a Cannon ID and a video of Trunnion PRESSING  (Read 556 times)

Offline Doc Brown.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Help with a Cannon ID and a video of Trunnion PRESSING
« on: July 24, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »
Hi everyone. I need some help with the ID of this cannon. Is it a real replica? If so of what?

I have tons of material to make mortars that look like this and I want to make another mortar but I want it to be way less amateurish and more bad ass. I want to get closer to a replica and with my interference welded breaches  with the material I have this would be a real nice way to go. Any help with this mortars ID would be really appreciated. Thank you.

A video I took of me and my father pressing in trunnions.  The barrel is a Stainless Steel British Howitzer. I think the barrel is to long at 8" but my friend asked me to make it that long for him so I did. Its a 1inch bore with a reduced powder chamber 5/8" dia by 3/4 deep powder chamber.

I wonder if they ever used a howitzer on a garrison carriage.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Help with a Cannon ID and a video of Trunnion PRESSING
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 07:33:56 AM »
I believe your little pot metal model is after a 17th Century mortar...... I have one of these myself but painted to look a little more realistic....... here is a site selling a model of it they call it french ca.1680.....

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=15th+century+mortar&view=detail&id=C312A033514CF6C367A8F2DFA33722318EBD79FA&first=1
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Doc Brown.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Help with a Cannon ID and a video of Trunnion PRESSING
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »
Thank you for that link.  Its great to know that its based on a real cannon. I don't have the right material to make a nice Coehorn.  Now that I know this is a replica of a real cannon Im going to try to make it look just like the pencil sharper I have and ill know what to call it now. That carriage is going to be a whole lot of wood and work. The cannons you linked me to are amazing. I think I want to try to make this one. Ill put a picture in.