Author Topic: Snake protection  (Read 1033 times)

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Snake protection
« on: July 07, 2012, 07:40:39 AM »
I'm thinking of buying a pair of gaiters for snake protection while hunting pigs, can anyone recommend a particular brand or style?
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Snake protection
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:34:18 AM »
I dont like snakes so my recomendation would be chain mail and a suit of armor like the knights wore!!!!! :o
blue lives matter

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:43:41 AM »
I would research the internet.  I've read somewhere that the shin type might not be high enough.  Also, I live in Auburn, Alabama and Auburn University is doing a study and found out that rattlesnakes are now sometimes not rattleing to warn you.  Another nifty fact.  50% of snakebites east of the Mississipp are copperheads.  Rattlesnakes generally warn, you are also more aware of cottonmouths around water.  Copperheads are hard to see on the woods floor with leaves.  Good boots is a must.  I quit turkey hunting early in the mornings in the spring because of snakes, especially going out before daylight. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:11:59 PM »
Id consider moving.  :o
I would research the internet.  I've read somewhere that the shin type might not be high enough.  Also, I live in Auburn, Alabama and Auburn University is doing a study and found out that rattlesnakes are now sometimes not rattleing to warn you.  Another nifty fact.  50% of snakebites east of the Mississipp are copperheads.  Rattlesnakes generally warn, you are also more aware of cottonmouths around water.  Copperheads are hard to see on the woods floor with leaves.  Good boots is a must.  I quit turkey hunting early in the mornings in the spring because of snakes, especially going out before daylight.
blue lives matter

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 06:10:53 AM »
A buddy of mine works for the forrestry dept. His job is to walk the woods 40 hours a week and survey trees. He has been snake bitten more times than he can recall by cottonmouths, rattlers and copperheads. He recommended Boyt snake chaps. They were about $40 in a camo pattern. I have never been bitten by a snake, so can't speaks from personal experience. Only second hand that he has never had one get through the chaps. I couldn't find a direct link, but here is one to a retailer. http://www.supremearchery.com/products/boyt-scale-tech-snake-gaiters-all-purpose-green

With the gaiter you also should factor in going up hill. Even if they don't strike high, if they are at knee level to begin with they will get above the knee.

Molon labe

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 02:43:16 PM »
GH1,

It all depends on how much you want to spend and how often you would be using them.  We hunt prairie dogs and walk the towns for 10+ hours a day so a couple of years ago we decided the chaps were a good idea.  My wife bought me a pair of Turtle skin full length snake chaps [size=78%]http://www.turtleskin.com/Hunting-Clothing.aspx[/size]  These are like the goretex version of rain gear.  Very light, cooler, comfortable enough to wear all day but costly.  I also wear leather boots to protect my feet.

My buddies went with the cabelas version and they were thicker, stiffer, hotter and not as comfortable but don't cost as much.

It's that get what you pay for thing. 

Good luck,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!