Author Topic: Which brass for fireforming 22 hornet to K hornet...  (Read 724 times)

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
Which brass for fireforming 22 hornet to K hornet...
« on: July 24, 2012, 02:30:36 PM »
What's best brass to use/buy for fireforming to K hornet please?
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Which brass for fireforming 22 hornet to K hornet...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 02:51:09 PM »

Offline Gaz-52

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 12:40:31 AM »
     I will back up Larry L on that one .  I have found Winchester and Remington brass to be lighter (less brass) than Privi cases and after annealing and fire formimg give good service in my K Hornet .   A cautionary word though. I have had factory loads split cases when fire forming , pulled the remaining bullets to find wide variations in the powder weights. I then reloaded the cases with a moderate load , and reseated the bullets . No more split cases . Not saying all Privi factory ammo is Suspect, but that batch sure was . I annealed the brass after the first firing and am still using that brass which has been reloaded at least 6 times , so far all good .
            Cheers Gaz 52 

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:58:56 AM »
I bought 300 Remington cases for my 22 K Hornet. I wanted to get Winchester, but they were out and in the end all other 22 Hornets I have are Winchester, so having a Remington head stamp works pretty well. I fire formed mine with the WW SR Primers, with 9.0 grains of Lil'Gun and 55 grain FMJ bullet pulls that were given to me. I did not loose a single case. I neck sized using A Redding "S" type die squeezing down just enough to hold a bullet firmly. I shoot mine in stubbed Handi rifle and keep the pressure on the low side, but still get 3150 fps with 34 grain bullets.

Pardon me, but I use any oppurtunity to show off what my 22K Hornet can do.

And finally the rifle

I think any case will work, as long as you are careful in your fire forming and reloading techniques and do not hot rod your cases (that will shorten the life of any case, any caliber).

Good Luck and Good Shooting

Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 01:37:10 PM »
RWS is the best if you can find them. Beyond that I haven't seen that it mattered, they all work.Never tried the Privi though, guess I have to get some and give 'em a whirl.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »
rd

I've used Rem as well as Win case's , both in brass as well as nickel plated and have not found any that were better than the others , none were anneled before hand , just loaded as normal 22 Hornet and fired in the K barrel to form .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 05:18:46 PM »
Thanks folks.  I'll be shopping around for new brass soon, and have requested the K hornet reamer. 

Met another guy today who's a real fan of the K hornet.  Has a low number Kimber made specially for it.  Advised me to definitely do it.

Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 09:26:29 PM »
I had several 17 Ackley Hornets for many years, and in three different action platforms.   I used both Remy and Winnie brass designated to specific firearms simply becasue they have slightly different case capacities, some of my chambers could handle more than others.   I lost very few forming with my preform die Fred at BBW made for me, didn't fireform except with hunting loads actually hunting and didn't find a need to anneal any of them, ever.   I had thousands of 17AH cases, and most of them stayed good to go through so many reloadings I'd loose track.  That tends to point to case loss being more a product of methods and loads than which brass you use.  FWIW
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus