Author Topic: Where to look for morels?  (Read 831 times)

Offline JerryWotz

• Trade Count: (0)
Where to look for morels?
« on: March 10, 2013, 06:45:57 AM »
Hi everyone,
As I write this I'm looking out the window at our latest dumping of snow in northern Minnesota, so it's a little difficult to think about spring, but here's my spring time question.  This year I'm going to make a concerted effort to find some morels.  I've always assumed morels weren't in abundance around my area because we don't have much in the way of hardwoods.  We have primarily spruce, birch and pople.  But a few years ago on the way into my cabin (it was June I think) on the one lane dirt road I saw an old lady I knew coming out of the woods with an icecream bucket full of morels.  I stopped and talked to her, but she didn't offer any specifics on where she picked them.  I know the area well from deer hunting so I thought I'd go back later and look for myself, but I never did.
The area she was in is really limited as far as high ground.  It's primarily flat land with only one small ridge that runs basically north/south and it's primarily short grass with birch trees.  From the ridge it drops off to a drainage ditch and from there it's a bog.  Now I know this elderly lasy hadn't strayed far from the road.  The entire area was logged maybe 15 years ago so there's not a lot of big trees. 
So, from my description of the area what advice could you give me to try to locate some morels? 
Thank you.

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Where to look for morels?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 06:51:51 AM »