Author Topic: nickle plated 30-30 brass for 30-30 AI  (Read 403 times)

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
nickle plated 30-30 brass for 30-30 AI
« on: July 26, 2012, 03:32:25 PM »
anyone fireformed nickle plated 30-30 to 30-30 AI?  I haven't tried any yet,but was concerned about the plating flaking off that sharp shoulder.
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline josiah712

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: nickle plated 30-30 brass for 30-30 AI
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »
I haven't done exactly that, but I would definitely go for it.  I have made plenty of 7-08s from nickel 308, with good results.

It won't cost you much to give it a try.  Keep the pressure down on the forming shots.

A better question, might be; who has the toughest nickle plating.  Mine were Remington and Federal; both did fine.

Yes, the shoulder shift on yours will be a bigger challenge.
"It is when the people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains"

Patrick Henry

Offline swifty22

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 04:07:35 PM »
fish- I have only made 338-06 and 375-06  Ackley Imp. from 30-06 Nickel plated cases, (Win. and Rem.), both worked fine, no flaking, ect. after numerous loadings. Two things I like about them are that they are different colored cases than standard 30-06, 270, 25-06 ect. (for ID purposes) and they are really slick into the chamber. They will however corrode (blue/green spots) if left in a moisture prone location (truck door pocket) but not near as much as plain brass cases. -Muddy

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 03:30:49 PM »
I have had nothing but bad luck fire forming Nickle plated brass in my 30/06 A.I.
True, it was not new brass, and not all of them cracked, but enough did that I found that unplated brass works better.
Those that did work worked just fine, but I learned...
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 04:52:47 PM »
ALL nickel plated rifle brass that comes to me leaves in the garbage. I won't waste my time with it. Split necks are common. I also had an RCBS die go bad on me. Problem was it was leaving flute looking marks on the nickel brass. Sent it back to RCBS and they sent a new die and a note stating the issue was the nickel brass- don't use it with their steel dies. From RCBS die instructions:

IMPORTANT: We find that most scratching of the die interior is caused by nickel cases or grit on the brass surface.

Yer dies, yer money.