Author Topic: .308 Chamber  (Read 624 times)

Offline mnh2obuff

• Trade Count: (0)
.308 Chamber
« on: July 30, 2012, 02:03:38 AM »
Cases I've shot in my .308 Mossberg 4x4 will not fit in the chamber of my HR without full length resizing. Are the HR chambers generally tight compared to other guns or is my Mossberg loose? Just curious if anyone has had any experience like this. Not a problem, I just have to keep the brass separate.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: .308 Chamber
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 03:52:47 AM »
I've had two Handi rifles in 7mm-08 that I could not interchange brass for.  I had to keep each rifles brass separate or full length size it. The two Superlites we have now readily interchange.  My .30-30 Handi and my Marlin 336 swap brass without a problem as does my Ruger .308 and Handi .308. ??? ::)   I don't know if that tells you anything.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 04:32:46 AM »
It's is most likely NOT anything to be conserved with.

Guns are individuals each one is different. They may look alike,  and be made form the  same company or be the same model. But the Important things like barrel and chamber will be different.

If your really conserved, bring your guns to a gunsmith and have the chambers dimentially checked.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 03:31:58 PM »
What is really weird is when they don't fit a different gun even after full length resizing. Figure that one out. I have learned to keep brass separate for all my same caliber rifles.

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 05:03:54 PM »
I have two .308's and each one has it's own load, caseins for one wont chamber in the other, one likes 165 BTSP the other 180 flat base.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline mnh2obuff

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 02:23:39 AM »
Thanks for the replies. It seems guns have unique personalities just like us.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 03:24:21 AM »
What is really weird is when they don't fit a different gun even after full length resizing. Figure that one out. I have learned to keep brass separate for all my same caliber rifles.

Push the shoulder back a little, just following the mfr's instructions for adjusting dies is just a guide line, sometimes you have to adjust the FL die down a little more, sometimes to the extent that the bottom of the die needs to be shortened or the shell holder shaved a little, have had to do that more that a few times.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 06:02:57 AM »
I think your problem is you have too many 308's  You need to ship me one of those and your problem is solved. :D

Like has been said every gun is different. Head space has tolerances, like any thing else that is manufactured. You can either full length size for both or keep each separate and neck size. Having a Handi, you will need to keep your loads tamed down a bit to neck size. If you start loading them up to the top of the range, case stretch can get to the point, where full length sizing is needed to chamber it again. I have used different head stamps to aid in keeping loads separated + labels of course.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »

Push the shoulder back a little, just following the mfr's instructions for adjusting dies is just a guide line, sometimes you have to adjust the FL die down a little more, sometimes to the extent that the bottom of the die needs to be shortened or the shell holder shaved a little, have had to do that more that a few times.

Tim

That makes sense. Was driving me crazy. I screwed the die down as far as I could. Never thought to shave a little off the shell holder. Has only happened with a few guns. Thanks!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
Just don't take too much off the shell holder, or it might fail when ya get a bit of a sticky case while sizing, don't ask how I know that!  ::) :-[

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain