Author Topic: Stabilization Question - .243 Ultra  (Read 765 times)

Offline Warthog

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Stabilization Question - .243 Ultra
« on: February 06, 2004, 01:55:08 PM »
As I had stated before being so rudely interrupted by the closing of the H&R site, my Ultra doesn't like Federal, Win or Rem 100 grain bullets.  They keyholed.  Although I'm sure the factory 90 grain Scirocco or 95 grain Ballistic Tips would be quite adequate for deer (assuming one of them shoots well), I would still like to find a 100 grainer that would work.  I said all that to ask this:  Does the construction of the 100 grain bullets make a difference in the stabilization?  In other words, could I possibly handload Interlocks, boat tails, X-bullets, etc... and get different results, or am I pretty much SOL on the 100 grains.
Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.  Right up until it kills you.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 02:34:37 PM »
This was discussed quite a lot on the Yahoo site.  The concensus was that the .243 NEF just doesn't like the heavier (longer) bullets.  You might want to skip on over there and do a search:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nef-singleshot/

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 06:24:48 PM »
:? Strange thing thease handi rifles mine shoots 100gr hornadys just fine I'm gonna try some 100gr round nose ones when it gets warmer one of the other fellas said they worked well for him 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline 243tom

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 03:55:32 AM »
I'm going to be following this post,,and hopefully some others will add more info. I just ordered this past week an Ultra Varmint and though I'll be using it mainly for varmints there might come a day when I will want to use it for deer.
I researched the old H&R site pretty close and took some notes and it seems most of the reports on the 243's,,most guns do shoot lighter ammo best, other than a couple guys liking the corelokt 100 and the PMC 100 got a good review. But then there were guys that say 85 grain ammo is plenty for a deer, and most all the guns shoot it well.
I ordered some of the Hornady 58gr varmint ammo and that's what I'll be sighting in with and using unless I run across a great deal on some heavier stuff. I'm not looking to get back into reloading,,but I can't rule it out either.
Keep the 243 info coming guys,,I'm just getting back into shooting/hunting and it's all appreciated.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Federal Premium
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 04:29:43 AM »
My Dad used a 243 on Ga Whitetail for years and swore by the Federal Premium line of ammo.  I believe they were loading an 85gr bullet, dunno what make.  From his description of their performance, (normally no exit wound, basically it blew up inside) most would call it bullet failure but he never lost a deer with heart/lung shots.  These were middle Ga deer tho, 125lbs is a biggun.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 04:37:22 AM »
Bullet stabilization is a product of both velocity and bullet length for any given twist rate. You can't change the twist rate without changing barrels. But you can change bullet length and velocity, well if you handload anyway.

So if you could find a round nose bullet that would be the shortest possible for weight and might help. Pushing it a bit faster if possible also might. Some guns just aren't going to shoot some bullet weights tho.

GB