Author Topic: My ROA Bullets  (Read 748 times)

Offline longcaribiner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
My ROA Bullets
« on: July 23, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »

the 22LR is for size comparison.   The bullet in the middle comes out of the mold at .456 and weighs 229 grains.  The mold is unmarked, except that somebody scratched 45-70 on it.

The bullet on the right comes from an Ideal mold marked 456, but I can't read the following numbers.  It weighs 19 grains out of the lead in pure lead.    In order to leave room for more powder, i load them in the chamber nose first and fire them back wards.  It seems to make no difference.    I can find no reference to the mold in my circa 1920 Ideal catalogue.

Offline rodwha

Re: My ROA Bullets
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 03:24:08 AM »
Is the base of the center bullet rebated for use in cap n ball guns? Or do you have to resize the base so it will align?

Do you hunt with it?

How well does it perform? Care to share your load?

Is it the picture or are those bullets blue (lube)? The 22 next to it looks grey.

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 06:46:28 AM »
Beteen the light through the North window and the cloudy day, the color was way  off.  The bullets are actually just gray lead, the 22 LR actually has a gold colored bullet.

The base is not rebated on either.  They both measure .456 out of the molds with pure lead.  When I load them up, the middle one seems to have a just slightly rounded corner at the base.  It fits sort of like a press fit, like a primer going into a centerfire cartridge base, but with a bit less effort.    The one of the right has an even more pronounced rounded corner, both at the base and around the top ring, so it starts even easier.  I think you can see the shadow around the base and the rounded corner around the top ring in the picture.  I have the load written down somewhere and will have to find it.  I grease the bullets with my fingers using a mixture of cheese wax and shortening.  (The red wax that covers Gouda and Edam cheese)

It seems with a round ball, there is more room in the chamber for powder,  more felt recoil, which I take to mean more pressure, velocity and at least for the short run, higher energy.     

I have loaded both in 45-70 cartridges with full loads of black powder behind them.  The one on the right punches very clean holes even at 100 yds.  Beyond that the bullets start to pitch and yawl too much. 

I think the one on the right, without the high protruding cone would make a great wad cutter for the ROA and still leave as much room as a round ball for powder in the chamber.

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 06:42:48 AM »
I have a .456 mold by Lee that makes a bullet like the middle one, it was stated it was specifically for the ROA.. Now if I just had an ole Army to go with it..Thinking of a sizer so's I can use 'em in me .45lC... :-\
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline rodwha

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 01:57:35 PM »
I've heard conflicting reports on it working well, and not at all in an Old Army. It has me leery of purchasing one...

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 02:11:07 AM »
Yeah, those Lee bullets suck in the ROA. Not enough lube to keep things working and poor accuracy. A ball with a lubed felt wad under it works way better and loads easier.

Biglube PRS45 boolits don't work too bad in the ROA for under 50 yard shooting. I size them to .454" and have to load them off the gun to get them started straight in the cylinder though. Still like balls better.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."