Author Topic: Hunting?? Who else does it?  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
Hunting?? Who else does it?
« on: February 01, 2004, 07:32:18 AM »
I just took my new '60 Army out bunny huntin, and lo and behold, it hits pretty good. In one eye, and out the other. I was impressed. Who else goes huntin' with their cap and balls? DM

Offline whitecloud

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 01:51:47 AM »
I  squirrel hunt with my'58 remmie,my flinter 45 and my perc 45 singles.I also have an original Henry Deringer that I would love to hunt with,but I cannot bring myself to take it out of the display case.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 02:19:04 AM »
Well I'm no great white hunter, but I did get bored using a 22LR rifle to kill varmits, so I started using my 36 police.  Lots more challenging :lol:
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 06:04:43 AM »
You mean like this?  
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Avid Poster
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 07:04:22 AM »
Nice shot Cuts. I do wish that were legal here and in KS. DM

Offline whitecloud

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 08:30:31 AM »
hey cuts,

what firarm are you holding?I was wanting a T/C scout to deer hunt with,just low on my list right now,MY LONG LIST :-D

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 09:07:17 AM »
That's an old "Reb Model" .44 with the brass frame. Note the blood between the eye & ear, that's where I hit him. I should also comment that I will never again use a BP revolver to take a deer. That shot was taken from only a few feet and the ball failed to penetrate completely through the skull...28 gr of 3F and a .451 RB....making me dislike the thought of doing it again.

My cousins husband has hunted deer with a Ruger Old Army and with a Colt Walker for many years successfully. Of course both those guns can hold considerably more powder than the Colt Army style revolvers. And too, a good steel framed Colt will stand up to more than my old brass framed one.

However, last year I took a nice fat doe with a 58 Remmie with the Conversion cylinder in it. My load was 35 gr of 3F under a 250 gr slug. From 15 yards the slug took the top off her heart and I found it lodged under the off side hide.

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Shorty

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 01:37:09 PM »
'Can't do that in Va. but wouldn't try it anyway.  
If you want to go really primative, listen to this.  I've a coworker who is going hog hunting in S.C. next week and trying out his new .50 S&W Mag.  He told of the last hunt when one of the "sports" determined to hunt hogs with a...SPEAR!  He even dressed up as a... CAVEMAN!  The guide, laughing, put him onto a hog and let him have at it.  Well, that fool actually speared the hog and then held on to the haft for several thrashing minutes until the hog bled out and died!    :eek:

Offline whitecloud

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 02:14:37 PM »
cuts,

gotta be a single shot ,at least 50 cal here in IN.I have a steel frame 58,I know could kill cleanly,just cant do it legally.

shorty, I am working on the spear killin thing,always been a goal of mine.

Offline J.W.Neely

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Dragoons-sptia
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 12:41:20 AM »
Not yet., maybe someday I will snipe a varmit with my 1860.

Offline 1860

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 01:32:46 AM »
Cuts,

I think we've discussed this on another board someplace, you had a different handle.  I had to scratch that itch and did it with a 58 Rem/ as much powder as I could cram in and .454 balls, like you I would never do it again, I got lucky.  Deer was 30-40 yards, it took 3 hits and if the deer didn't slip on some Ice I might of had a long tracking job.  First shot knocked it down, it got up, I missed and then hit it high, it slipped and fell allowing me time to move closer and finish it.  

I do use mine for ground hogs in the spring when they are stupid and easy to get close.

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2004, 02:58:19 AM »

Yer probably right. I used to post on the Huntinfo and HuntAmerica boards as Longhunter. But I don't stop in at those places these days...can't change my "handle" there and prefer to stick with "Cuts"! 8)

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2004, 06:13:14 AM »
Hi Cuts, good shooting with the deer.

I'm kinda surprised that the 44 didn't penitrate the skull, I've used my old Pieta 60' army to put down a couple sick cows before from 20-25 yards and the ball got into the brain both times.  I was using a steel framed army, 451 round ball and 35 grains powder, couldn't use a wad under the ball, it was just about flush with the top of the cylinder.  

I haven't tried deer hunting with it though, woried that I might miss a vital area.
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2004, 08:17:04 AM »
I haven't tried it yet, but I have friends who hunt with their Walker Colts. They get good penetration and reliable stops but don't take shots beyond 60 or 70 yards. Here in New England that's probably an average range with any sort of firearm. The biggest problem I had in the beginning was getting used to the sights. Both my Uberti and my Colt will chronograph around 1300 fps using a .454 ball over 55 grains of fffg. Quite a bit more pop than an 1860 Army.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2004, 09:29:42 AM »
Howdy Will,

I guess I didn't say that very well! It penetrated the skull, but didn't EXIT!
I like enuff power to make it all the way through at that range!

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2004, 08:36:02 PM »
AH, now I see!

One thing with a soft round ball, it tends to flaten.  If it had exited there probly would have been a huge exit wound.  I imagine that most of the power was expended getting through one side of the skull.  

Just out of curiosity, was the brain pretty much mush?

Still, if I ever hunt deer with a cap and ball, it will be a Walker or Dragoon, probly with modified sights, and under 50 yards.  I have project(if I can ever find the time to get started on it) of turning a walker into a carbine, should be good for short range deer.  With a 60 grain load that aint far from my 45-70 loads, though a lot lighter projectile.

Wish someone make a replica of the old Colt revolving rifle.
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2004, 11:07:43 PM »
Will,

I didn't autopsy that one. But I did remove the antler plate for a plaque mount and I recall that the brain tissue that was exposed was smooth. There was obvious hemmoraging (sp?) on one side though.