Author Topic: Handi Rifle Rear Sight  (Read 985 times)

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
Handi Rifle Rear Sight
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:41:29 PM »
Hey guys.  I recently picked up a Handi Rifle in .30-30.  The price was right and I couldn't help myself :).  Based on the serial number it appears it was made in 1995. 

Unfortunately, it appears that the rear sight blade is missing.  I'm including a picture below (sorry for the quality - my digital camera is on the fritz so all I have is the cell for pics).  The rear sight appears a little different than the WGOS sights I've seen on some other/newer Handi's though.

My question is simple:  is there anywhere to source a blade for this sight?  Barring that, are the mount holes for this the same as the WGOS sights so that I can just buy a direct replacement?

Thanks for any advice offered.  I'm really hoping to avoid scoping this rifle :).

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Handi Rifle Rear Sight
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 05:18:07 PM »
AFAIK that's an H&R proprietary sight, you could prolly make one with some sheet stock if the screw and spring are still present, the blade has a dovetail shaped base, the spring and screw hold it in place. You might PM Brian56, maybe he still has some in Ilion. The WGOS uses 2 screws, your sight has just one mounting screw, so you'd prolly want to drill and tap another hole.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »
IF you find/make a blade for your rear sight and get your gun sighted in I would suggest you try and find a way to epoxy that blade in place.  It is only held in with spring tension and the blade is very easy to dislodge and become lost.  I have at least 3 of those rear sights in my parts drawer that are complete minus the same part you are missing. :P

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Sprint

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 02:49:29 AM »
MGModern

Your rear sight, sans the base, is a copy of the Ruger sight. You may want to check the outputs for the Ruger's.

Good luck,

Sprint

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 03:01:59 AM »
What response did you get when you contacted H&R about replacing the part?
You might try Numrich Arms. They have the rear sight blade for the NEF Sidekick MLer...I believe that may be the same sight.

Pete

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 04:22:50 AM »
What response did you get when you contacted H&R about replacing the part?
You might try Numrich Arms. They have the rear sight blade for the NEF Sidekick MLer...I believe that may be the same sight.

Pete

The Sidekick sight appears to be a WGOS which has a different blade, it's cast aluminum with a mini dovetail on the bottom. Here's a pic of the H&R sight blade.

Guess I'm lucky BB, both of my sights are complete! ;D

Tim

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=13731
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 04:23:07 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.

I haven't actually contacted H&R about it.  I know it sounds weird but unless its a defect I don't like calling a manufacturer about things like this as often it seems like you're asking for a free part.  I'd really rather pay for it as it certainly wasn't their fault that a previous owner lost the sight.

The good news though is that the spring and screw are still present.  Looks like its just the blade that's gone.

What I've done is order one of the Ruger sight blades (looking at pics of the way it goes in they do look nearly identical) from their store.  It was only $2.50 (though I did have to throw in a t-shirt to make the minimum order :)) so if it doesn't fit, no big loss.

If that doesn't work I'm going to go ahead and purchase one of the Williams WGOS bases and blades and just have the local smith drill the additional hole(s) as needed and fit it to the barrel.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 12:38:07 PM »
MGModern

Your rear sight, sans the base, is a copy of the Ruger sight. You may want to check the outputs for the Ruger's.

Good luck,

Sprint

I believe you are right on the ruger styling.  Looks like my blackhawks sight.  Might try one of these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/219166/ruger-rear-sight-base-assembly-ruger-super-blackhawk-10-1-2-bull-barrel-model-only

Have to call Ruger for parts to see if you can get just the blade though:
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Customer Service Department
200 Ruger Road
Prescott, AZ 86301
Telephone: 928-778-6555 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting FREE 928-778-6555 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
(Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm MST)
Fax: 928-541-8835
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 05:56:28 PM »
Looks like there are several options if it turns out to be close enough to the Ruger, looks like several souces have replacements and possible upgrades like white outline, etc.  Be interesting to see if the Ruger part fits - it looks exactly like the one for my H&R 999 revolver sight.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 05:41:16 AM »
Quote from: MGMorden
Thanks for the info guys.

I haven't actually contacted H&R about it.  I know it sounds weird but unless its a defect I don't like calling a manufacturer about things like this as often it seems like you're asking for a free part. [what!!??]  I'd really rather pay for it as it certainly wasn't their fault that a previous owner lost the sight.

The good news though is that the spring and screw are still present.  Looks like its just the blade that's gone.

What I've done is order one of the Ruger sight blades (looking at pics of the way it goes in they do look nearly identical) from their store.  It was only $2.50 (though I did have to throw in a t-shirt to make the minimum order :) ) so if it doesn't fit, no big loss.

If that doesn't work I'm going to go ahead and purchase one of the Williams WGOS bases and blades and just have the local smith drill the additional hole(s) as needed and fit it to the barrel.

Several good suggestions have been made;

Numrich [or GunPartsCorp.com] often has unusual or hard-to-find-parts.  They're located in New York state.

Also there is Brownells.com ......

And MidwayUSA.com ......... that have lots of gunsmithing / repair gun parts.

And two HUGE sight makers are Marble's and William's.  Either company might offer after-market replacement parts that could help you.

But if it was me, I would call H&R/Remington, tell them what my problem was, ask them if they could tell me specifically what part (part number) I needed, and then ask for the price!

Then I would verify where to send my payment, if not just use a VISA card over the phone!