Author Topic: Cannon Rebuild  (Read 1063 times)

Offline skratch

• Trade Count: (0)
Cannon Rebuild
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:31:27 PM »
I had this posted on another board, Cat Whisperer gave me an invite to GBO to share the build here, thanks Tim!
I inherited this cannon several years ago and always wanted to rebuild it. It had been neglected for many years. After a recent trip to Ft. Stanton, NM and talking with some cannon crews setting up for Fort Stanton Days I got enthused enough to get started. The casting marks had never been polished out, after MANY hours I finally got that done. The bore had rust pitting to the extent I felt it deserved better, re-sleeved it to 2" using seamless drill stem. The carriage, well, the "before pic" speaks for itself. The gun is a half scale U.S.  Model 1857 Napoleon . The second pic is I think is a U.S. Model 1841 field carriage and was the visual reference I decided to try to closely replicate because of the scale.
More pics when time permits....

John.......

Offline de_lok

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
Re: Cannon Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »
Years ago Dixie Gun Works listed a cannon very similar to this one in their catalog, in fact this may be one of theirs. I have kept older catalogs over the years, I will try to dig one out and find a listing. Your barrel would look nice on a carriage patterned after the one pictured above :)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »
Welcome aboard, John! Please post pics of your build's progress.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline skratch

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 08:35:45 AM »
The wheels with axle beam roughed out. Wheels are 30" diameter. They were made in the east, I noticed today they have shrank here in the NM desert enough that the hub rings are loose. Going to remove them and re-set with epoxy.

Offline skratch

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 08:41:33 AM »
Here I have the tow beam roughed out and gun mounted to fit the elevation screw.

Offline skratch

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 08:47:09 AM »
The bottom trunnion cap and straps fitted. The recoil shoe also fitted. The screw is from an antique cast press, probably from a blacksmith's shop. I was able to cut it apart and machine the nut, also shorten the screw to fit. It's a bit large but will work until I find one closer to scale. By the way, I put the pintle ring on upside down,  didn't noticed till I took the pic, makes it look crooked.  :-[
More pics later..
John....

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 11:09:31 AM »
They were made in the east, I noticed today they have shrank here in the NM desert enough that the hub rings are loose. Going to remove them and re-set with epoxy.

You might consider using silicone caulk instead of epoxy to reset with.  The joint would be a little more flexible but you would likely have less damage to the wood if you were to take the carriage into more humid areas.  The humidity causes the wood to expand and if it is restrained, will crush the wood fibers and then it would be loose again if taken back to a low humidity area.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline skratch

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 10:10:56 AM »
GGaskill, thanks for the idea!
Here the parts are mostly done, going to lose the handle, seemed like it would be handy but I think it would look better on a barn door.  ;)  I've got it apart now, am doing the filling, sanding and paint. Going to make the front hooks and rope brackets while waiting for the paint to cure.
Silly question maybe, but I've seen pics of cannon carriages with the rope wound on the brackets,  what was a rope used for?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 02:51:50 PM »
Skratch -

Look through your pictures - there is some GOOD photography here, as well as good workmanship.

My typical remark is "Calendar Picture!"

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 05:19:16 PM »
The rope is called a prolonge (I think that is the correct spelling) and it is used for the crew to move the gun short distances.  It is actually more than just a piece of rope.

From m-w.com:  a rope with a hook and a toggle used chiefly for dragging a gun carriage or attaching it to the limber
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 07:09:58 PM »
Instruction for Field Artillery by the United States War Dept, William Henry French, William Farquhar Barry, Henry Jackson Hunt.

Uses for the prolonge.
http://books.google.com/books?id=5nEOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA137&lpg=PA137&dq=carriage+prolonge&source=bl&ots=6dpnQi9bb7&sig=fNWSRwQUncDo0SC3Jz6AyYy6aOg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JAEiUNWNF8m1ygHVooHQCQ&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=prolonge&f=false
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline skratch

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »
Thanks guys for the info on the "prolonge"! :)  I've learned something today. The only reason I could think of was to tie the crew to the gun so they wouldn't run off when the shootin started.  ;D ;)   Just kiddin....

John.....

Offline skratch

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 05:11:48 AM »
Finally got the project finished.  :)  It's based on a Federal piece but I figured the Johnny Rebs surely captured a few so I put the C.S. on it.  ;)

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »
Looks very nice. Congrats!!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 06:04:31 AM »
Fine looking rig, John; you did a good job.

Offline skratch

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 08:54:45 AM »
Thanks to all for the comments.  :)  Fired the 1st shot today, aimed at the backstop on our 25 yd range, hit high on the berm then off into the open desert. I need to make a sight for elevation, next project I guess. It was a fun build.  :)

John.....