Author Topic: My contender locks up  (Read 773 times)

Offline mdevlin53

• Trade Count: (2)
My contender locks up
« on: August 02, 2012, 01:07:49 PM »
I just bought a new to me barrel for my contender carbine and when i put it on and closed the action it will not re-open. is there a way to adjust this or do i need to send it in for fitting. any tricks or hints will be welcome.
Thanks Michael

Offline 1idrod

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: My contender locks up
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 02:45:23 PM »
Hi, I just signed up and saw your post. This link may help some. It sounds like to me that you may have to have the barrel trimmed down some. My 2cents. Good luck!! Well sorry, I tried to give you a link to explain it better than I but it's banned by the site for some reason. Anyway, I think the barrel to frame gap is to tight. Wow what a way to start off on a forum

Offline mdevlin53

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 04:33:19 AM »
A member told me that if the trigger is adjusted to light the barrel could lock up.  I checked and found out it is true. i backed out the adjustment screw just a bit and the action opens every time now. thanks terry.

Offline 1idrod

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 07:03:43 AM »
Great, glad you got it working.

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 03:42:22 AM »
The classic situation for this is an older barrel which has the early one piece bolt being mounted on a newer frame. Current barrels have the split bolt. Other times there is an incompatability in the bolt and a particular frame. Different height bolts are sometimes needed to get the proper fit.  Read other threads detailing others' experiences for more insight. rp