Author Topic: Looking for help or ideas on making 10 gauge 360 breech loading cannon  (Read 726 times)

Offline one thumb short

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi I have not gotten very much response on my last post.Is there any profiles on cannon barrels on this site ,I would like to make my first cannon a good looking one.I have been looking at different types of breech systems for making a breech 10 gauge cannon.Is any better to use ,easier to make and also safe and how to make firing pin than hitting it with a hammer?Screw in type,slide block,any others ,also I have to have room as I am using 8 inches of 2inch by 8inches long, to make the breech and barrel probably just for noise I want to thank responders before they post for any help.One thumb short

Offline one thumb short

Re: Looking for help or ideas on making 10 gauge 360 breech loading cannon
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 06:05:59 PM »
Sorry 360 brass/bronze material 2inches by 8 inches long is the material.One Thumb Short

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »
Generally speaking, we do not maintain an archive of cannon/mortar drawings separate from the ones shown in the threads; maybe we should although there are links to threads discussing specific builds in the stickies.  I recommend that people look at the images at the Civil War Artillery Page hosted by Robinson's Battery.  There are pictures of almost every known US muzzle loading artillery piece to be found there.  Search until you find something you like, then go to Antique Ordnance Publishers and see if they have a plan book for it.  If they don't, ask here and someone may be able to help you.  But AOP is the best source.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline one thumb short

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 07:16:07 PM »
Thanks GGaskill ,I will check it ,sounds like a good lead.,Dixie Gun  has some profiles ,but still looking for others.I bought a 1979 copy of The most complete Cannoneer by M.C.Switlik ,still waiting for it to be delivered,a little pricey new ones are being printed  in Nov.and he does not have a price for this new printing.
   Still looking for info for breech loading styles ,systems,safe and proper for a short cannon 8 inches.Thanks for your support .One thumb short

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 08:16:37 PM »
I think Dixie sells the AOP folios, but not all of them.

I see you are talking about 2" diameter brass.  Even a 12 gauge chambering (bore .725"+.020") would be oversize for the 1:1 rule in 2" material.  10 gauge bore is .775"+.020".

Your choice.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 11:41:51 AM »
One thumb short,

This is an old 4 page "Powder keg" thread, on his build of an 8-gauge BL salute gun; maybe it will give you some ideas.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,94807.0.html
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline one thumb short

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 04:33:05 PM »
Cannoneer Thanks I just found it this morning,and it looks just about the style and size I am going to .I am going to send him a pm and see if I can get a little more info on it.I really like all the help you have given me.What do think about the material and size of planned cannon.It is going to be a noise only cannon and it going to be my first to build.The material is 360 brass /bronze 2inch by 8inches,the tensile strength is 58,000 .It is extruded not cast 100% the easiest to machine and get a good finish .It is the most used brass /bronze used to make anything that needs to be strong bolts,fittings etc.I think it should be strong enought for my cannon.I do not know what the members think about RBG cannons ,but that is the kind my dad had 12 gauge he bought in the 60's it was cast iron and we just used it for hoildays and I just traded it before I bought my bronze cannon you helped me with.I am going to pm Powder keg .Thanks one thunb short

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 06:36:29 AM »
One thumb short,

I also like Powder keg's salute gun, it's a clean, simple tube, and that type of breech is a tried and true design.

I don't have an RBG cannon, but I've handled a few, and they impressed me as quality products.

As for my opinions on choices of proper materials, and the wall thickness needed to ensure a safe cannon, my stock (but truthful) answer is that I'm no metalurgical engineer. Just in considering recoil and appearance, an 8-inch long barrel for a 10-gauge gun sounds a little short to me. 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline one thumb short

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 10:11:19 AM »
Thanks CCannoneer .I respect your opinon on the 8inches,maybe have to look for some more material to make it out of.It was just before closing and I did not want them to dig out the 12ft piece and cut it.Even though it is just about the same size as RBG's sunset cannon in 10 gauge.I will made tryto sell my material or make a shelf cannon muzzle loader at a later date or use it as a prototype for a cannon like Powder kegs.Thanks for your reply.I feel connected when you reply,and your opinion.Thanks one thumb short