Author Topic: My .357 Shorty Project FINALLY Done!  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Dirty Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
My .357 Shorty Project FINALLY Done!
« on: August 04, 2012, 07:20:56 AM »
Greetings!

My .357 shorty project is finally finished! The last part was the front sight. I've wanted a very compact single shot for a long time.

This little SB1 carbine fits -- assembled -- into a tennis bag for very low-profile carry, but without the hassle of having to assemble/disassemble it. The barrel is just under 17" and the overall length is 29-3/4" -- shorter than many youth carbines, like the Crickets, et. al.

The modifications are:
  • Installed synthetic Youth stock set
  • Installed QD sling studs and sling. The rear sling stud goes through a piece of aluminum for a much stronger install in the relatively thin plastic.
  • Chopped/crowned barrel
  • Replaced scope base with NoDak Spud rear ghost ring
  • Made new front sight from 3/4 x 1/8" steel stock for the band, with thinner steel strapping for spacers, a plastic tent stake for hi-viz sight blade, and two screws with nuts and lock rings.

The NDS ghost ring really helps the sight picture and is very fast. It fits my vision for this little carbine, which is a fast, compact long gun that makes a heckuva lot less noise with .38 Specials, yet it offers a much more powerful top end with .357 Magnum.

This close-up pic shows how I still have some work to do. I deliberately left the front blade way tall for filing down later. In my first test with a few shots of .38, it hit about 10" low at 25 yards.

Even with the short barrel, I was very pleased with the noise level with full-power wadcutter .38 Specials. It's louder than a .22LR, but much less than a full-power handgun or a high-powered rifle.

I have not had the chance to shoot this seriously yet, but I'm looking forward to range time with this little gun!

All my best,
Dirty Bob

Offline reclusej

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Re: My .357 Shorty Project FINALLY Done!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 08:35:24 AM »
 8) Cool gun. I'm still working on mine. Thanks for
the post.  8) :)   reclusej
I own a gun , not to kill some one but
so no one tries to kill me !!!

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 09:31:26 AM »
Very handi-looking!  :-*

Cat

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »
ream to MAX and your done

i like that front sight...might even be withing my skill level to make
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 10:59:01 AM »
Very well done.Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 12:07:33 PM »
Looks good, be sure to give us a update on how it shoots.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 12:28:55 PM »
Good looking conversion,
So far I have shortened 20ga H&R and a 45-70 H&R to fit me, 20" barrells and 34" overall.  After kiciking things around I have found a .223 handi that I am contemplating taking down to 16 1/2" barrell and a youth stock as it is really barrell heavy for me.  I could also trade for a .308 barrell to shorten but i am afraid the fireball on the short .308 barrell might be a little intense.  The rear sight you used is just what I need and I never really thought about just making a clamp for the front.  Use of this is to take out four wheeling/rock hunting, if it's 223 I can use on varmint or ferals, if .308 Mayby I can get real close to an elk.  I know from experience that a 45-70 20" barrell at under 30 yds is enough to take a lady elk.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hodr
TANSTAAFL

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 03:02:49 PM »
Nice job, I like the gun. If you thread one side of the front sight it will get rid of the nut.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 06:31:31 AM »
I like it.  Interesting front sight.  I wonder if an old winged military front sight would fit?   Now you got me thinking about mine. 
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 05:11:59 AM »
Great idea on the front sight!  I should have done that when I had trouble getting the right hight front sight for the .45 colt (one that I could SEE).  Great job!  You could also use black plastic for the spacer on the front sight.  Yes, ream it to max and you will have the untimate truck gun!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 09:42:10 AM »
+1 on 44Man's comment.  I have just gotten some nice ideas from you.  Please let me know what you think of the NDS as I have been looking hard at one of those for the .357 also.  I'm torn between that one and the Skinner peep.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Rodland

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
Love that front sight. My old eyes might could see that. I will likely try, you got me thinking.
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Offline Dirty Bob

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 03:31:30 AM »
Thank you so much for all the kind words! I'm really excited to get some more range time with this little carbine.

Regarding the NDS rear sight: I was very happy with the quick service and the overall quality of the sight. My only concern is that it has a limited range of adjustment. That wheel on the side is for windage. Looking down at the sight from above, we see it has a modest amount of room for adjustment, but I'm not really concerned because of the front sight. In exchange for this "problem," I see the NDS sight as being much sturdier than some other sights I've seen.

The design of the front allows almost unlimited adjustment. 44Man's idea of the plastic spacers was a great one: I should have used black Kydex -- it would have been less work and would have done at least as well as the steel. A tall front sight blade can be easily filed down for adjustment to a load. If I screw up and go too far, I can easily make another. I still have most of the first tent stake, plus about five more. Windage can be adjusted by making a very thin spacer or spacers, and change the order to move the sight blade left or right. I plan to focus on a few loads with this carbine, so the lack of a fully-adjustable rear with a wide range or adjustment isn't an issue for me.

I do plan to thread the left side of the band for a slightly larger pair of screws, to make a better-looking front.

I'm thinking of two changes to the front:

1. For light recoiling cartridges like the .38/.357, I could make a small scratch on the barrel and the band, so that if I remove it, I can put it back in exactly the same spot.

2. If I experience movement, I can either use a set screw, or I can drill a hole in the band and use a drill to make a small dimple in the barrel, so that I can put a single small ball bearing or a lead pellet in there to prevent movement. I'm leaning more toward a set screw on the bottom, if needed.

My reason for the project was to have a super-compact carbine that could be used or carried in places where a "regular" long gun can't go. I like really long or very short barrels on long guns: long for quiet shooting with light loads and short for easy carry. Nobody looks twice at a tennis racket bag!

All my best,
Dirty Bob

Offline Dirty Bob

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 02:53:41 PM »
Two more things:

I swapped the old forearm back in, because of its roughly parallel sides. I'm planning to attach a piece of Picatinny rail to the right side for a light, just in case of a night time critter visitation (we've had a bunch, already).

How difficult is reaming to .357 Max? Who should I contact? I've heard great things about the cartridge and that accuracy with .357 Mag and with .38 is not generally affected...

All my best,
Dirty Bob

Offline Rodland

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 03:12:09 PM »
Takes about 15 minutes to ream. Contact Quickdtoo or go to the top of this forum and click on GBO reamers available. You want be sorry. Love my Max.
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »
How difficult is reaming to .357 Max? Who should I contact? I've heard great things about the cartridge and that accuracy with .357 Mag and with .38 is not generally affected...

See the sticky above titled GBO Reamers Available for Rent, it has everything you need to know and do.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dirty Bob

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 03:41:36 PM »
Thank ya'll so much! I've already submitted my PM to be placed on the .357 Max waiting list. I'm looking forward to having a Handi that can shoot three different cartridges! How cool is that?

About the carbine: I also should have mentioned that it feels great in the hands with that short barrel. It is much quicker and er, well, handier. In .357 Max, it should be even more fun!

Thanks again! This is such a nice group of people to deal with.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 10:34:05 PM »
Thank ya'll so much! I've already submitted my PM to be placed on the .357 Max waiting list. I'm looking forward to having a Handi that can shoot three different cartridges! How cool is that?

About the carbine: I also should have mentioned that it feels great in the hands with that short barrel. It is much quicker and er, well, handier. In .357 Max, it should be even more fun!

Thanks again! This is such a nice group of people to deal with.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

GREAT looking lil rifle you have there Bob!!

I agree, reaming to maxi will make a good thing better!!!

Order some brass, while its avalible. (NOT avalible all the time) You load it with 99% of std 357 mag dies.
Your also right, most find accuracy IMPROVEMENT when shooting MAGNUMS after reaming to maxi!! Along with little to no neg difference in 38 spls.

TONS posted here for recipes and information on the maxi. Its a favorite.

Good luck with yours,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Emilio

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 11:05:07 AM »
Looks very nice.  :D
The rain from Spain is quiet

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 04:45:30 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on the NDS  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline michael30.06

• Learner
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 11:42:29 PM »
Range report Please!
That looks great. Well done

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 08:56:37 AM »
If you need to replace the front sight blade for any reason, I'm thinking the old Speer plastic bullet boxes are the right thickness and color.  Good job!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!