Author Topic: ANYBODY HUNT SNOWS?  (Read 2842 times)

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
ANYBODY HUNT SNOWS?
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »
With the snowgoose population busting at the seams, I was wondering if anyone hunts snows and how successful you are. We have tried but without much success.

Offline Pappyhat

Re: ANYBODY HUNT SNOWS?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »
Well I'm leaving San Diego and heading to North Dakota in a couple of weeks for the spring hunt. It will be my 10th spring hunt. I've made trips when all was still frozen and the birds were still to the south and I've been there to late. Always a gamble on the weather for sure. I still manage to kill a few but not like some of the guys with the real nice decoy spreads that really whackem and stackem. I just enjoy getting out and having a good time in the outdoors.

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:30:43 AM »
My friends and I set up hundreds of rags with the hopes of getting the geese that we scouted the day before. Someone forgot to tell the geese. They almost always find another field. I'm trying to get a mature blue phase to have mounted.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 07:58:42 AM »
I've pounded the sky carp most of my life, although I haven't done the spring hunt this year.  Three things matter:

1) Huge spread.  HUGE.  If you're talking dozens of decoys you're not big enough.  You need to be talking hundreds.
2) The electronic caller is magic.
3) You have to be where geese are trading.  Flight geese won't usually work. 

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:40:02 AM »
 >:(  About 2 weeks ago, my girl friend and I were coming home to Wy. though Neb...the amout of geese there was staggering...both Canada and snows..I stopped in Kearney for the nite, and next morning visited one of my favorite gunshops..I mentioned the snow geese...he said they had killed 31 in his blind over the weekend... I ask if there were any local guides for snows...having never shot one, I was interested..his reply was they are too unpredictable so guides don't offer hunts for them..kind of surprised me, so we moved on to Wy..I have traveled though Neb. several times in the spring, but this was by far the greatest number of geese I have ever seen there...if I didn't get to hunt, the sight of the geese was great.... ;) :) ;D

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 12:51:58 PM »
If you've ever witnessed thousands of geese funneling into a field; you'll never forget it. Looks like a white tornado. truly an amazing site.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 10:29:31 PM »
I did the first ever spring hunt in MO. and continued until about 08 the snows for the first 3-4 years were very predictable same area usully same time of year and they stayed for several weeks did not need 1000's of decoys several hundred would do it, boy did that change in the last 5-6 years they just blow thru area's that they use to stay at and there is hardly any predictablity with them to me it's not worth chasing them anymore and with the price of gas even less.

I just picked this mount up last week one of my last MO. eagleheads.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 08:28:56 AM »
Nice mount. The geese, both dark and light are around my area in huge numbers. There are thousands of snows in a field near my house. They will probably be gone by tomorrow , when I can get out and hunt them.

Offline BLASERMAN

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 12:57:10 PM »
Our club we sit in white chairs in a white suit. Last season open plug no limit 1 man buy himself Killed 80 in one day.

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 01:44:35 AM »
YIKES. Alot more fun than shooting doves. How big a spread did he have?

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 06:51:36 AM »
I've got two snows this season and I hope to get more being that the Light Goose season runs through March 25th in North West Texas this year.

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bitterroot Bob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 02:33:50 PM »
ALERT!
They are in the fields around Quincy, IL! Gazillions of 'em!

Bitterroot

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 08:14:16 AM »
I really wanted to try a snow goose hunt. While reading about it i found how much equipment is needed and how unpredictable the entire affair is, and i gave up. I could not find a guide or friend either.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 09:21:02 AM »
We hunt them north of Winnipeg at a place near Petersfield . We hunt the marshes on the south end of Lake Winnipeg and the fields that border it. At times there are 10000 geese in the air if not more. On most hunts you will have a limit in a few hours ( my best time was 30 min). I have had so many around us they didn't seem bothered by the shooting. Best time is last two weeks of sept . There are also many other geese and ducks to hunt also. But it seems the white geese need to be shot to protect the breeding grounds so we hunt them hard.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 09:22:33 AM »
I really wanted to try a snow goose hunt. While reading about it i found how much equipment is needed and how unpredictable the entire affair is, and i gave up. I could not find a guide or friend either.

the hunt I posted , you only need a dozen floters or a box of white kitchen trash bags and a can of black spray paint.

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »

the hunt I posted , you only need a dozen floters or a box of white kitchen trash bags and a can of black spray paint.

Shoot I didn't even do that. I just set up a blind about a 1/4 mile from the lake and waited for them to fly over.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 10:03:52 AM »
Where we hunted that would work , But We just had to do something  ;D  we hid behind hay bales and shot limits . The geese were on a lake about 150 yards away and trading back and forth from grain fields around Oak Hammock . They were so thick at times you couldn't talk or hear guns going off. You had to pick shots to keep from wounding geese behind the one you were shooting at.
We were putting out the bags and spraying the corners when a few geese landed by my truck about 10 feet from me. The truck is white  ;D  . My son said it was the bags they really looked good. Now it should be noted we may have been the first humans alot of these geese ever saw. Its a sept/oct shoot , very easy to do.