Author Topic: H&R 949, cylinder wiggle  (Read 812 times)

Offline Rufus T. Firefly

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R 949, cylinder wiggle
« on: April 30, 2012, 05:54:24 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I recently bought a H&R 949, and i'm not the most experienced with revolvers, but the cylinder seems to wiggle just a tad.  I was totally drawn to this thing, and hope that either its normal, or easily fixed.  The wiggle is so little you could easily miss it, and i did at the time of purchase (I could kick myself!).  Action is nice and smooth, feels just right on the hammer.  But if you kinda shake it a lil your hand you can feel it jiggle just a hair.  its possible to move it ever so slightly with the fingers.

Its an oldie, i know, the SN starts with AJ and without looking at the SN list I believe thats in the neighborhood of '70.  It's gorgeous tho, and i'd LOVE to hear its normal for these, or a simple cylinder pin or something.  If it sounds like a problem, i wont hesitate to take it to a 'smith. 

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Offline TNBilly

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Re: H&R 949, cylinder wiggle
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 02:15:46 PM »
You didn't say wether you were talking about movement of the cylinder front to back or rotational movement from the hand lockup.  In either case a little movement is entirely normal and needed really.  When it gets to be excessive it won't be a case of "barely noticable" it'll be starting to shave bullets badly or spit out the side.  Lots of times the back face inside the frame will be grooved up from the ratchet on the cylinder when that gets worn........
America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”        Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Rufus T. Firefly

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:44:36 PM »
Billy, thank you for the reply!

Its rotational movement, i should have known to include that detail.  D'oh!

I dont see any grooving, in fact, it barely looks like it was used at all.  if i hadnt found normal powder residue in the barrel  i would have thought it may not have been. 

I totally dig this little thing for some reason and am hoping it all goes very well.

Thank you again!

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 02:08:40 PM »
My 922 was shaving lead and the cylinder wiggled too.  I purchased and installed a new cylinder loc lever from www.e-gunparts.com   it fixed it.