Author Topic: Sabots and bullets  (Read 417 times)

Offline tsigmon

• Trade Count: (0)
Sabots and bullets
« on: September 02, 2012, 11:01:10 AM »
Last year about this time I was trying to get a  CVA Optima Magnum muzzle loader dialed in and was having 100 yd accuracy problems that I never solved . I got frustrated  and never got to try all of the combinations of sabots and bullets I had bought . Well, I'm getting started again and plan to try TC Mag Express Sabots for .451-.452 bullets with Hornady 45 cal. 250 gr.,  .452 dia. FTX  bullets starting with  85 gr.s of black powder and going up to 100 grs.

When I looked up the bullets on the Hornady site I found out they are rifle bullets  for velocities of 1800-3000 fps. I have no idea I will get those speeds. The closest thing to that in a pistol bullet is 225 grs. rated  for 800-2100 fps. I guess the difference in speed recomendations is the thickness of the jacket. Am I close?

If I get the accuracy I want, will I be sorry for using the rifle bullet at the slower than recommended speed  and loosing some expansion?

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: Sabots and bullets
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
http://mmpsabots.com/  Order the black HPH24 sabots.  Sabots are a bit of a pain in the butt due to all the different bore sizes, but that 24 sabot is very accurate in my cva barrels.