Author Topic: Load for a 45 ACP Carbine?  (Read 489 times)

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Load for a 45 ACP Carbine?
« on: August 24, 2012, 04:23:44 PM »
I have a 16" 45 ACP carbine barrel for my Encore. I have some 200 grain Laser Cast SWC bullets. I have been unable to find a carbine specific load. I don't hunt, just get a kick out of ringing the gong. I have used Titegroup but wonder if there is something that is better for the longer barrel. I guess I have a case of "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence".
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Load for a 45 ACP Carbine?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:16:58 PM »
I have a Marlin CC in 45ACP. Its a blast to shoot, I have taken it deer hunting a couple times. Both times I use a +P Golden Saber and they killed DRT both times. Thru and thru penetration at under 50 yards.

I I have 230g BB TC cast mould, it shoots and loads easy. I dont shoot it too fast, I built the load for my 1911's and did nto alter it for the carbine. I cast my bullets hard.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
The Lyman 47th Edition has load data for both Marlin Camp Carbines, 9mm Luger and 45 ACP.
Unique seems to be used in all of their list of powders. I've used it in my Camp 9 succesfully.

Bill

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 03:27:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies! I have thought of trying Unique, now I have a legitimate excuse!
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »
In the Lyman book, the listed data for a 200 gr. cast bullet (Lyman #452460) using Unique shows a starting load of 5.0 gr. and the MAXIMUM load of 7.5 gr.
The data compiled using the Marlin Camp 45 Carbine with 16.5" barrel. They used CCI 300 Primers, Federal Cases and the COL of 1.161"

They make a special note to not go below listed starting loads, as a bullet may become lodged in the rifle barrel.

Bill