Author Topic: Presidential candidates on guns  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Presidential candidates on guns
« on: February 08, 2004, 06:16:02 AM »
Candidates on the Issues: Guns    

GUNS: How, if at all, should federal gun laws be changed?

Democrats:

Wesley Clark (news - web sites): "First and foremost, we need to do a better job of enforcing our existing gun laws. I will do better. Next, I will push for a law that closes the 'gun show loophole.' Many states already have laws requiring background checks for gun purchases at gun shows. This is just common sense: If background checks are a good idea at gun stores, then they're a good idea at gun shows. I will make this a federal law. Finally, we ought to make sure that guns are designed with safety as a priority. For example, trigger locks on handguns would prevent a substantial number of the accidental shootings that occur every year. In addition, guns should feature indicators that show when they are loaded."

Howard Dean (news - web sites): "I favor reauthorizing the federal ban on assault weapons and requiring use of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System for all sales at gun shows. I support all other existing federal gun laws and would vigorously enforce them. Beyond that, each state can decide if additional gun laws are needed."

Sen. John Edwards (news - web sites): "I grew up in small towns where gun ownership was a way of life. I have deep respect for that way of life, and I believe the Second Amendment protects it. At the same time, I believe we must support gun safety and keep guns out of the hands of criminals. To achieve these goals, I support modest changes in federal gun laws — closing the gun show loophole and requiring trigger locks on new weapons — which we should take while honoring the right to own guns for hunting, sporting or personal protection."

Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites): "I am a gun owner and hunter, and I believe that law-abiding American adults have the right to own guns. But like all of our rights, gun rights come with responsibilities, and those rights allow for reasonable restrictions to keep guns out of the wrong hands. I strongly support all of the federal gun laws on the books, and I would take steps to ensure that they are vigorously enforced. I will also close the gun show loophole, which is allowing criminals to get access to guns at gun shows without background checks, fix the background check system, which is in a serious state of disrepair, and require that all handguns be sold with a child safety lock."

Rep. Dennis Kucinich (news - web sites): "In this mobile society, national control of guns is necessary, just as it is with pollution. It is the right of Americans to keep and bear arms; however it is not the right of American felons to arm themselves. As president, I would support legislation to require background checks, identical to the background checks currently required for transfers by licensed gun dealers, for firearm transfers by unlicensed gun dealers at gun shows. Sensible laws to prevent guns from winding up in the wrong hands do not infringe on any constitutional rights."

Sen. Joe Lieberman (news - web sites): "I support common-sense gun safety laws — closing the gun show loophole, enforcing the Brady Bill, and providing better protection for our neighborhoods. We need to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, and provide law enforcement with the funding and tools needed to effectively cut down on gun violence."

Al Sharpton (news - web sites): No response.

Republican:

President Bush (news - web sites): No response.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline NYH1

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 07:44:14 AM »
Yeah, they talk a good game now. After their elected (which isn't gonna happen) they'll be just as left as they were before. :evil:
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline dread

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 09:35:44 AM »
:eek: Nuff said. That influences me. :eek: We have too many now. But looks like John Edwards beats the rest of 'em on the issue. :eek:

Offline BamBams

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 02:22:45 PM »
Any liberal is a poor choice.  Our country has drifted too far to the left, and we need strong conservatives to shift it back.  We may not agree with everything GW is doing, BUT in the bigger picture, I'd rather have him than the other choices right now.

NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 05:32:00 PM »
I agree with Bam Bam but you know after seeing what happened to our CC in WI with Sherman voting for the veto because he wanted to protect the Governor and because he wanted to show the Republicans that the dems in a minority role could still wield a big stick I do not trust any politician on gun control until they do the walk and talk the talk. Yea GWB is my choice also but he could be a bit more for us upfront on this semi auto issue than just meeting with the NRA to show he supports guns. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 06:41:13 PM »
This ban really scares the heck of me.  I don't think alot of people are even AWARE that the liberals have added more stuff to it.  They WILL be when they wake up one morning in October and find out that they can't even purchase any kind of semi-auto shotgun anymore!!!!

Please people......take some time to write some letters and make some calls to your alleged representatives.  AND do a little research and find out what is REALLY in store for you if this ban becomes extended. It's not just about assault rifles......it is going way beyond that if the extension goes through.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Red Neck64

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 04:33:13 AM »
I don't trust anyone from any party,Whitman got elected as Gov in N.J.with the help of the N.R.A.,then stabed the N.R.A. in the back.They will tell you anything to get the power.

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 06:42:02 AM »
I agree - they all seem the be a wolves in sheep's clothing!

Here's a link to an article posted on the NRA-ILA that Chris Cox wrote on the Democratic candidate's positions:
NRA ILA Issues Article

Their 2004 candidate rating are not scheduled to come out until the fall, but it's hard to see any of them getting a grade above "F" !

>>Copied from other thread - Seemed it belonged both places<<
    Ray

Offline powderman

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 12:08:29 PM »
The dems have proven they can not be trusted no matter what they say. POWDERMAN.  :)  :)
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 12:48:47 PM »
Quote from: powderman
The dems have proven they can not be trusted no matter what they say. POWDERMAN.  :)  :)
Yes, campaign rhetoric be easy to mouth, difficult to adhere to, say Dali Llama. :-)
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk