Author Topic: Got .357 max barrel coming for my Apex  (Read 821 times)

Offline randy_68

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Got .357 max barrel coming for my Apex
« on: July 26, 2012, 12:29:02 AM »
I have been wanting to do this for a while and I finally came accross a good deal for a .357 max barrel to fit my Apex. I had 2 H&R maxi's but just sold one to finance my Apex barrel.
I'll post photo's and shot data after I get it and get some loads worked up. Can't wait!!! :)
NRA Life Member since 1976

Offline OK hunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
Re: Got .357 max barrel coming for my Apex
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 10:50:33 AM »
I also have a 357 Max bbl for my Apex but had to get a certain man who cannot be named on this board to do it.  It began life as a 222 Remington but was cut down, chambered and bored to the Max.
I'll be interested in hearing of any loading data you come up with that serves you well.  I have some at home, am not there currently, but upon return can give you some data if you would like it.

Yeah, I'm a rifle looney

Offline randy_68

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 01:19:32 PM »
I actually bought the test barrel the un-named guy made and used in all his CVA Apex testing. He has a lot of load info on that barrel so I should be pretty good to go. This will be my third barrel from him so I know it will be a shooter. I have been loading for my other two H&R maxi's for the last couple of years so that gave me a good idea of what this caliber can do. I've only shot one deer and a groundhog with the maxi so far but they were both DRT. Of course the groundhog was only half there after the XTP hit him!!!  ;D
I also carry an S&W 686 .357 so I am loading for that also.

Offline OK hunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 03:24:32 PM »
Excellent.  I'll be interested in your report.
Yeah, I'm a rifle looney

Offline randy_68

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 04:14:29 AM »
Just a quick rundown on my new barrel. I received it Monday and when I got home I mounted it to my frame. It fits like a glove and locks up solid. I then mounted a Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 DOA 250 score in Luepold rings and did a quick bore sight in. Tuesday night I loaded up ten rounds in 3 different combinations and shot them at 50 yards from a shooting table with a front bag rest. It appears that it does not like AA1680 powder but really likes H110.
All bullets shot were the Hornady 158XTP/FN.
I must say I am very happy with the results and after a few more loads and longer range session I think this will be one sweet shootin deer rifle. :)
Here is a pic of the target and the Apex with the rest of my deer arsenal

Offline OK hunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 03:03:35 AM »
Congratulations and thanks for the report.  I'll look into H110.
Yeah, I'm a rifle looney