Author Topic: looking at bronze cannon to buy ,and info on one I found and thinking to buy  (Read 5399 times)

Offline one thumb short

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi down the bore of spacers around  one of the trunnions that are cast into the tube.If you look at the first pics you will see a crossed keys stamp on the end of the barrel.These are the same crossed keys stamped on the trunnion.I am trying to find some one who can identify this stamp ,also the makers name inscribed on the bottom of the cannon barrel.One of the pics that did not get posted is adate of 1952,.I am now wondering if this was a kit and this guy is the one who put it together in 1952.I used to work with a guy in the sixtys and he said if you wanted to sell something at that time period was to sell Kits of any thing because no one would finish them and you made your money.I know my Dad and I bought black powder 1951 colt navys as kits and finished both of them.One thumb short

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
One thumb short,

The multiple stampings of the symbol on the trunnion face almost looks like somebody was practicing stamping the mark, but those stampings don't necessarily originate from the maker of the barrel. I don't think that there's much chance that your model was made from a kit. I believe that your gun was cast by an individual (P.G. 1952?) to celebrate the victory of U.S. forces in the Span-Am War. The steel/iron tubes used to enlarge the trunnions may also suggest that the carriage was made by another party at a later date.
Can you judge the size (length and diameter) of the trunnions that are integral with the cast barrel (they look small for the barrel)?

P.S. Im sorry that I didn't answer your PM earlier, but I didn't know I had any.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline one thumb short

Hi Cannoner I went and measured the trunnions taht are cast into the barrel .They are 1inch o.d. and 1inch long.The steel/iron tubes are 2 1/2 long 1inch i.d.,1 11/16 inch o.d..Do you have any Ideas on them leave them alone or is there an easy fix?I hope to at least shoot it for noise and if every thing checks out shoot ball.Thanks one thumb short

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
What is that down the bore?

I see, that is not the bore but the inside of the cylinders added over the trunnions.

It is traditional to size the trunnions the same diameter as the bore, so they are probably all right even if they appear undersized.  But not knowing what alloy was used for the barrel, I would be reluctant to shoot any strong loads in it, shot or blank.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor

The first letter in the last name looks like a D to me. My first name starts with a D and I know when I see a D.  So First Letter D then I cant make out but the last three letters look like AMY It could be Paul Dunamy or Paul the Dummy.

Offline one thumb short

I am going to play it safe and not put in heavy loads for either ,mainly noise unless the bore looks true .it has a good bore.I have seen all warnings about shooting cannons that should take but they do not warranty any because of people can over load that could blow it up with heavy loads.Trunnion sleeves are 1 11/16 bigger than the bore ,and the ones cast in the  are 1 inch same as the bore.One thumb short

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
I
I think it was gift for some kind of Saint or Pope or something. When I look up Paul Durand I found this site. Maybe this cannon was made buy some monks who made church bells for the Catholic Church.

http://www.durand-gallery.com/papalportraits.html

http://www.visual-arts-cork.com/collectors/paul-durand-ruel.htm

Offline one thumb short

Hi Dockholidaiy   I want to thank you so much you know your DDDDD's.I not sure about the Pope story.Because I found out who made my Cannon,he was a World class bench rest shooter,multi millionare,fought in ww1 at 17 yrs old born in Dinant Belgium,came to the U.S.A. and fought for his new country.His name is Paul Pierre Dinant was on the board of Bench rest shooters ,lived in San Diego ,loved anything to do with guns.Won trophys awards and had them displayed all over his house.His family owned a mine in Belgium and did metal working so he had the back ground .He has passed but has a daughter in Carlsbad ca. ,she is 81 and I am going to try to get a hold of her to find out if she remembers her dad making my cannon.Carlsbad is near San Diego ca.You picked the D and original I thought the y could have  been a t.So after I saw your post on the D I started trying different lst letters and tryed the t .I put in a search for Paul Dinant ,In some of the articles he spelled his name Din ant ,that is the way it is spelled on the cannon.I wondered why the space now I know most likey the way it is spelled  in Belgium and the way he spelled it.I am so over joyed that mystery is over and a new one begans on finding more on him.I also found a link onG503 which is a ww2 jeep site that I used to be on as I owned a slat grille 1942 jeep .Just amazing what you can find out with a little help.If any one knows anything about Paul let me know and I will keep posting progress on my cannon.Paul seta Worlds record in 1950 also has a article in Rifleman magazine  December 1950 .If any one has a copy they would like to sell I would be interested in buying,or anything about him,Thanks again from everyone on this board.One thumb short

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
Thats great you figured it out. He makes his D the same way I do mine. I actually came across that name in a goggle search and seen that name Dinant but didn't click on it. That is exciting you are getting close to figuring this cannon out. Knowing where it came from makes it worth a whole lot more money. 

Also them millionaire's who come from money usually have a family crest and im betting the Dinant family used the cross keys.

Offline one thumb short

Dock I am sure you are also right about the crossed keys ,I will keep trying to find that out.Cannoner also said he thought the A C D might be a relative of the family ,maybe a father etc . the D could be Dinant Another is they were involved in the Spainish american war which might make sense about the 1899 signing of the end of that war.Things look like they are coming together,I just found out the town of Dinant is a copper supplier ,what is brass or bronze made of copper and he worked there a young man.I will look at the deaths again last nite but was looking for the wrong name.Thanks for all the help.One thumb short

Offline de_lok

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
I am ssoooooo glad you took the time to find out the true origin of your cannon before "hacking" it up! It is crazy how often this happens. Now that you know who made it chances are he made more than one, and possibly a carriage for it also. Since you know its historical value you may decide to budget for an appropriate carriage. Maybe you will be able to find pictures of his work on a carriage to referance from. Keep us posted on whatever you do :)  Maybe even look at Belgian designed carriages...............
Dewayne

Offline one thumb short

Hi everyone I went to a testing lab yesterday to have my barrel tested.It came out to be close to C44300 copper 68 to 70%, zinc 27,to 28 %,ni.353,fe.573,Pb2.269, Sn.994,Sb.064.Tensile strength,psi 68,000min ,yield strength,psi 53,000min.
   I think that should be strong enought to shoot for noise and  shoot projectiles if I decide to shoot them.Still looking for releatives of Paul Pierre Dinant from San Diego ca.Have not checked war records as he served in WW1 maybe WW2 at Camp Elliot near San Diego.Still looking or thinking about how to find his realitives.I went to one site and said he was born in 1897 an passed in 1985 in SanDiego.One of the articled said he was still living in the same house he bought in 1935 .I have a realtor living across the street to see if she can help in finding info.
    Hoping to find out if this is original carriage or someone swapped it for this one.The reason is the trunnions with a sleeve on them to fit the carriage I have.If I have to build another I think I can do it might need some info on them.
  I was checking out craigslist San Diego and i talked to a man who has a black powder cannon for sale.It is a steel cannon ,rifled barrel with a sight,36 inch long ,muzzle loader built in 1960,s by his uncle only shot on holidays,naval carriage,1 1/4 inch bore.Craigslist post id 3129338765.In case some one is interested sounded like a nice piece .valued by the seller $ 1000 but is a trader ,swapper want trades to trade for guns ,old surf boards,etc.Has guns but not into black powder.I was thinking about it ,but I have a project and I like the bronze barrel and character of my cannon and now the history.I hope some one will be able to get it.He said if he did not sell it on craigslist he was going to take it to the next Las Vegas gun show.Again thanks to everyone who has helped me and I hope I can help  with other member projects .I will still need help ,I am sure .One thumb short

Offline one thumb short

Hi I am so excited I do not think I will be able to sleep to nite and try to get my heart to slow down.I found by using a personal site to find people the daughter of the man who built my cannon.I got the phone number of the daughter who built my cannon but got an answering machine.She phoned back and talked to me for a while,and I asked questions about it ,,and she said it was of one of many she thought her dad made.She said it was after I told her what it looked like,she has pictures if she can find them of when her dad took the grand kids and her family to shoot it.She said she was not excited about it until her dad fired the cannon and then every one was excited.They shoot it in the 60's at a place that is very exclusive now by the beach in a wealthy part of town with Million dollar homes.Shot at a small refrigerator at a hundred yards.He used to know a lot of big land owners and had keys to there property to shoot and shoot cannons because he knew the difference between a horse and a coyote etc.He was a real gun guy and loved to build and shoot guns cannons all his life.He always cleaned his weapons VERY good after shooting.They asked me if it looked like had been shot ,I said yes but was very clean.The whole cannon is the way he wanted to build it ,It was cast in T.J. Mexico and then finish building it.He also put the crossed keys stamp on everything,the steel wheels were of the era and he liked them as I do so he could take it out in the boonies and not damage them .This was his shooter,she said he built a few more that were pretty ready to be in shows ,movies and did not shoot them.Some bigger ,full size ,than mine some to put on shelfs to look at them and in between.When he passed she got the contents of the house which was Full of his cannons and related gun things,powder casting equiptment ammo.the rest of the cannons went to grand kids. When I told her I had a cannon that her dad made she was curious because her kids and grand kids were supposed to have them.ThenI told her about the one I had and she said that was the used one ,It was not as good as the other ones.She sold it to an antique dealer and did not know what happened to it until I phoned  her.After I told her I was a gun guy she was glad I own it and loved it for what it was and was going to shoot it.She said she was glad I got it and knew her dad was looking down and smiling.we are going to meet some time soon and talk about her dad and the cannon and she would look for history and pics,receipts for when she sold it in 2005.
    It has been quite a day ,I thought I wasted my money and could be in a site that could be got into for my info.But as it turned out it is one of the best days of my life.I told her I saw that cannon in the gun shop and I had to have it,and now I own it and am going to get the history on it.Thanks for all the help .I will keep in touch and try to help others and hope I can get more info on shooting cannons.One thumb short

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Congrats on your research and the outcome. Sorta like History Detectives!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline one thumb short

Ya that is the way I felt, History Dectectives,its beenfun driving my wife nuts but I am having fun.Now I have to findout how to be a cannoner.Thanks for the reply.one thumb short

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
This is one of the few times a maker of an odd cannon has been identified.... Congrats on this,  looking forward to hearing about your meeting with the daughter hopefully you can get some scans of any photo's she has to keep with the cannon.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline one thumb short

Hi I am turning down my rammer and brush to fit my one inch bore,while really looking at it I say the crossed keys in a circle.I for got to tell everyone his daughter told me that was his stamp and he put it on everything,Barrels trunnions cleaning rod.The thing that does not make since is these came with the cannon ,with his stamp on them  but they were to big for my cannon.Maybe they were just stored with it and when they sold it they thought they were the correct ones.Anyway that's all for now.
   I checked the bore with my cleaning rammer that is 1.025 in dia. it is a snug fit,does anyone know where to buy a mold  and what size do I need so I  have the proper fit for my bore?I have all the equiptment to cast balls except the mold.Thanks for any info you can turn me on to to help me get ready to shoot my cannon.I need to know what kind of black powder loads for it also ,for shooting balls and for noise.I am told I have to go to my range or a meeting of my gun club to see if they think my cannon is safe  to shoot .Let youknow what happens with that.ThanksOne thumb short

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Buy a mould from sponsor Armorer 77

Offline one thumb short

Hi  folks I have been busy.I sent a letter to the daughter of the maker of my cannon with pictures of it.I ask if she had e-mail and I would still like to meet her and if she has found anything about the cannon,pics,shooting it,articles about her father.I bought a American rifleman magizine from 1950 .December issue .Paul Dinant set a world record then ie was a .25cal.rifle bench rest that had the fore end of the stock cut off right after the chamber and setting on a sand bag,one group was .198 and .498.5 shot.
   I am going to try to build my own mold for my cannon the bore at the chamber is 1.025 ,I know that there is going to be shrinkage.I bought some 1 inch ball mills most are 1 inch ,one is .976 .I am not sure which one to do first,probility the .976 then a 1 inch to see how much it shrinks.I bought some 6061 aluminum to make it out of.I also sent off for some 1f powder so I have some powder to use.I thought I had some but it turned out to be Dupont fff not the right powder for my cannon.I also talked to the president of the gun club and he told me he did not have to see my cannon,but come too the meeting to tell me which raange I had to use .It is going to be the 100yd range ,and then tell me how I was to prepare to shoot my cannon getting closer.Lubed the wheels and have figured our the elevator screw attached to the knob,but might try just locking the trunnions to try that first.Thats all for now till I hear frm the daughter or go shooting.one thumb short

Offline one thumb short

Hi Talked to the daughter,she received my letter but has been busy.She has had a couple deaths in the family and going to a funeral today.Another one is next week .She want to get together in a couple of weeks after the dust settles and talk about her dads cannon and old pics of it,that he made and I have ended up with.All for now ,got a gb cannon might try to go outandshoot both of them so I can say I shoot her dads cannon like he enjoyed.One thumb short