Author Topic: West Va Public land bucs  (Read 507 times)

Offline TCAS

• Trade Count: (0)
West Va Public land bucs
« on: February 07, 2004, 07:04:10 AM »
Took this 10 pt on Public land in West VA, I've seen a few this size on private land but this was the first big I've taken on Public side.

Any other WV hunters out there?

TCAS

Offline Dave in WV

West Va Public land bucs
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 08:51:34 AM »
Yup, there are some around. Where did you get that big boy? I hunt public land in Cabell Co. but mostly private land in Lewis Co.. Intersesting handle. How'd you come by it?
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline TCAS

West Va Public land bucs
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 10:29:24 AM »
DAVE.

This is a Hardy County deer from George Washington National Forest.  Lots of big bears out there too.  Looking for a private farm to rent in the area but not much luck last year.  I'll give it a another try in the spring and summer.

This was one of the few bucks in our area that had brow tines.  Most of the mature bucks don't have brow tines where we hunt.

Handle is just letters from name.

TCAS

Offline wvbowman04

West Va Public land bucs
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 02:23:03 AM »
Very nice deer.  Saw a few close to that this year myself.  I am glad to see a few other WV hunters on here.  I hunt in Morgan county on family owned land.  We had a good year.  9 deer in all taken off 140 acres.  Buddy took a big 8 point and me and my dad (I am only 17) both missed ones bigger than the one killed.  Soo many deer in the eastern panhandle don't know what to do with them all.  lol.  Biggest buck I have ever seen was taken down the road from us.  12 point double drop tines.  Amazing mass.  Good luck this coming year.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer with his buddies for a lifetime.

This isn't a beer gut!!  Its a feul tank for a sex machine!!

Offline TCAS

West Va Public land bucs
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 04:01:53 AM »
WVbowman,

we to have too many deer and our buck to doe ratio is exceptionally high, this ofcourse is just my observation.  I would have to guess 7-8 does per buck.  WV DNR needs to establish a longer Doe season and drop the $25 dollar per doe tag fee.(out of state charge) We see very few hunters in our area and 90% are from out of state.

We saw two other bucks a bit larger than the deer posted above, but could not get off a shot ....always next year.

TCAS