Author Topic: scope opinion  (Read 1131 times)

Offline msnden

• Trade Count: (0)
scope opinion
« on: August 20, 2012, 06:27:39 AM »
I am going to puchase a H&R USH in 20.ga, I am looking to put on a scope 1. Bushnell Banner 4X32 or 2. Simmons Pro Diamond 1.5-5X  these are very reasonable priced scopes, anyone have any experence with these? (any other suggestions are welcom) Thanks msn

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: scope opinion
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:19:53 AM »
The Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32 would be my choice because you can use med. rings.  I also like the Bushnell Banner 1.454.5X32.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:20:55 AM »
I have two of the Simmons, and they have been great.  Obviously, the more pricey the scope the better the optics, but within the range of the shotgun either of these should be fine.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Jimbow4570

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
At Wal-mart (or on-line), a Center-point 2-7x32mm. Water / fog / shock proof. Even has a lighted cross hair in red or green if you wish. I have 2. One on a 45-70, one on a 30.06. Long eye relief (won't give you a new and bloddy eye brow) and cheap about 70.00.  It has taken all the rain, dropping, recoil I have been able to muster...and it yawns back at me. Nope, not perfect. A little foggy 'round the edges...But its mil-dotted, cheap,holds its zero, and its cheap.....J.M.H.O..your mileage may vary. (and No..I don't work / sell for them)
Center-Point Optics. Model # CP273RG, Adventure class. Comes with rings and a allen key to set rings
"Teach a man to fish and he feeds himself for life...give a man welfare and he will go fishing while YOU go to work"

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 01:21:52 PM »
+1 with swampman & mechanic all three are good scopes for the money. I also like the Simmons prodiamond master series 4X32 fixed power shotgun scope
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 03:06:39 PM »
I am going to puchase a H&R USH in 20.ga, I am looking to put on a scope 1. Bushnell Banner 4X32 or 2. Simmons Pro Diamond 1.5-5X  these are very reasonable priced scopes, anyone have any experence with these? (any other suggestions are welcom) Thanks msn

Here's a pic of my 20 gauge USH (the bottom one ;) ) with the Pro Diamond 1.5-5x scope, with Butler Creek caps:

It's been reliable, clear, and consistent, no problems at all. A good scope IMO....Scott B.

Offline msnden

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 04:29:39 PM »
[

Here's a pic of my 20 gauge USH (the bottom one ;) ) with the Pro Diamond 1.5-5x scope, with Butler Creek caps:

It's been reliable, clear, and consistent, no problems at all. A good scope IMO....Scott B.

Nice collection!!!!!!!!!!!!! What recoil pad would you recommend? Thanks

Thanks to all for the posts, I appreciate you taking the time!  msn

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 07:51:52 PM »
re: recoil pad

My gunsmith lined up 4-5 recoil pads on his workbench, had me pound each one with my fist. The Limbsaver (like the one on my USH) was far and away the best of the bunch as far as absorbing a blow. Convinced me!

Scott B.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 04:38:24 AM »
I've got a 20 gauge Tracker II that I put a Nikon Prostaff 4 x 32 and have had good luck with it, and I love the scope.
It's got 4" of eye relief and I haven't even come close to getting scope eye with stoutest of loads..
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline msnden

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 02:16:24 PM »
Thanks for all the information!! Very helpful,  msn

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 08:17:15 PM »
This one would be hard to beat at double the price with scopes in the same class. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,263253.0.html
Molon labe

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 10:53:24 AM »
Skip the cheap ($50.00) 4x32 scopes, not worth the headache. Had one last 1 year, had one last 2 years,, no fun ruining a hunt or 2 till you figure it out.
I did what I should have in the first place, put Nikon 2-7's on all for of my Ultra sluggers and Sidekicks - $90.00 on sale.
Slack
Nicholas Andraka
REO Services
Serving Maryland since 1993
http://reoservicesofmaryland.com    reo_services@verizon.net

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
The Simmons and Bush Banner are both good "cheapie" scopes. The 20 isn't a big kicker esp when you factor in the weight of the USH.

Mount it in good rings and a good base and it will likely survive you many years!

Upnut,
 I love the looks of the shorty 20mm scopes too!!  Your collection looks great!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline msnden

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 03:56:58 PM »
Thanks for all the help! I went with the Simmons Pro Diamond 1-5x5x32mm, using Dednutz (high) rings, I think it will work fine. I wanted to avoid using the hammer spur extension, but I ended up having to use it, (it would work, but was uncomfortable) Maybe a different choice in scopes would have made that possible, however I do like the Simmons. Thanks again msn