Author Topic: Will the last one to leave, please turn out the lights!  (Read 4939 times)

Offline Roadhouse3030

• Trade Count: (0)
Will the last one to leave, please turn out the lights!
« on: February 06, 2004, 05:46:22 PM »
I just got done retrieving any info I wanted to save from Marlin Talk, I don't have any reason to return unless they re-open the forums to postings. I just can't help but feel like I was forced abandoned a wonderfull ship that is being scuttled. There was many years of good info associated with the site and I will miss it alot. And it is a hard pill to swallow that a place that is a treasure trove of good discusion and info will soon be wiped out with a stroke of a key, and will be no more. :cry:. There are alot of us from Marlin Talk that will spread out to other sites like this, but there was only one Marlin Talk. We Marlin Talkers took a little pride knowing that when we posted a topic, or to a topic that when our username showed up many recognized it, investigated, and replied insuit on knowing who that person was. Also that some of us were loyal to Marlin Talk, I had know idea about any of these other froums because there was to much to read and respond to a Marlin Talk, so I guess after leaving M T for the last time a few moments ago I am in a bit of mourning for the old site that came to a quick and untimely death and maybe feel abit orphaned out of the deal. I hope to see alot of my old friends from M T make it over here, and soon become as recognized as we were at our former site.                                                 Roadhouse3030.

Offline jh45gun

Will the last one to leave, please turn out
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 06:23:35 PM »
I think most of the guys will find a good home here. the biggest change will be moderators which is a good thing as it will not get out of line as it did at MT. IT is too bad that a person could not save all the info there as no matter how much you saved I bet there is some you missed also. Bound to happen lots of good Marlin info there plus other interesting threads. Well now you can help start a New Marlin site here. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Roadhouse3030

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 07:02:13 PM »
Thanks Jim. You are right about that I could not retrieve alot of the stuff from years gone past, but I was able to retrieve my first post to Marlin talk from the collectors corner when I was inquiring about my little old 30-30.and the response I recieved from that is what got me hooked. Roadhouse3030.

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 10:53:27 PM »
Roadhouse3030,

Your thread starter was very well said.  I feel the same way.  My only forum was MT because all I needed was there.  I hope this will work for us refugees.  I kinda think it will because we sure have received a warm welcome and they even gave us our own forum.  Can't beat that.

Dave :grin:
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline Big Hext Finnigan

• Contributor
    • http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 05:26:24 AM »
Howdy all,

While I understand your sense of loss, both of community and information, I'm not surprised.

I see a time in the not too distant future when all the manufacturer or corporate boards will be shut down.  There are two factors which, of course, are both based on money.  :wink:
Bandwidth costs and administrative costs create an expense that the company doesn't need to bear once there are places like Graybeards.  As an introductory forum, its a good idea, but once the bandwidth becomes an issue, seeya.  
Liability against the company for information found on their discussion board, especially for their own product is scary.  PI lawyers must positively slobber at the prospect of that kind of lawsuit.  

Still, the good thing is that costs have come down and individuals, like Graybeard have created new boards for us to call our home on the cyber range.

Adios amigos,
But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.  - Edmund Burke

Offline Sure-Shot

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 07:35:16 AM »
The problem I have with what they did is their failure to allow some volunteer moderators who could have easily addressed their concerns on posts.   If people are posting things they believe give them liability then warn them and if they continue give them the heave ho.  Things such as the crossbolt safety replacement could have been exchanged via email and kept off the board.  Frankly the company with the liability on that one would be the company making the replacement.  All Marlin had to do is post a warning that they were not endorsing any modification of their firearms.  
Anyhow, it is nice to have this forum.  I have checked in here from time to time but had not been much of a poster before.  Thanks to Graybeard for letting us join up.
GBOT GBA

Offline dread

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 09:06:35 AM »
:cry: I was sorry to see it close too. MT had a lot of good things and the information was good. That's why I got my Marlin 30-30. It influenced me in that direction.  :(

Offline marlinman93

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 02:00:28 PM »
"will the last one out turn off the lights"
 I kinda felt like they turned off the lights, with all of us still in the room, and we had to find our way out in the dark!
 I've been back there 3-4 times, just to convince myself it was real! It feels like having a close friend move away, and you drive by his house to see if he's really gone! Only difference is my friends tell me when they're moving!
Ballard, the great American Rifles!

Offline NYH1

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 06:26:21 AM »
I felt the same way as you guys. The least they could have done was let us know of their intentions. The sad part is that 95% of us were "brand Loyal" so to say. The Marlin brand if you know what I mean. Oh well, if they don't want or need us on their sight maybe they don't want or need "our" money either! :evil:
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 06:32:47 AM »
Quote from: marlinman93
"will the last one out turn off the lights"
 I kinda felt like they turned off the lights, with all of us still in the room, and we had to find our way out in the dark!

:evil: Dali Llama opine that yes, aforementioned be most disappointing part of all. :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk