Author Topic: Reducing Number of Partner Single Shots  (Read 1104 times)

Offline larry1945

• Trade Count: (0)
Reducing Number of Partner Single Shots
« on: December 18, 2012, 01:21:16 PM »
As I get older I see myself using single shot much more than the heavy pumps etc.  I've acquired several .410, 20 and 12's.  After using them for a year or so (shoot almost every day)I finally decided the 12 gauge 28" modified handled the best and appears much lighter than the 20's and .410's.  I am going thru 50# of shot per month so as you can see I shoot a lot none of which is organized games.

I've reloaded with Lee Load-All for 30 years so needed figure out how to make my 12 a 12, 20, 28 and .410 all in one with its good handling.  In addition to std loads of say 1 or 1 1/8 oz I've worked up excellent loads down as low as 5/8 oz.  Upside is patterns are great with 3/4 and 5/8 oz loads plus benefit of less powder and shot with hulls that are free pick ups.

Obviously 20's and 410's are more popular while 12's go begging due to stories of heavy recoil. my last two 12's were $40 a piece in pawn shop.

try it.....you will like it!

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Reducing Number of Partner Single Shots
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 04:19:08 PM »
I started with a .410 H&R Single and now have a 12 ga w/ screw chokes and an old 16 ga. Stevens too.  ;)  They are nicer to carry all day, but especially that .410.  ;)

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 12:47:23 AM »

Are you loading 5/8th oz. loads in your 12 ga?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 01:38:31 AM »
Are you loading 5/8th oz. loads in your 12 ga?

He probably is.  There have been many articles on loading loads as light as 1/2 oz in 12 guage hulls.  The upside is that the light load patterns great in the 12 guage due to the short shot string.  In fact the only downside is every farm boy will tell you, you can shove more 20 guage shells in your pocket then 12's.  Yes the 12 guage barrel are lighter then the smaller guages since all are 12 guage deminsions from chamber to end of the forearm.  The downside to a 12 is recoil but throwing a 3/4 oz load at 1150 fps is a joy to shoot.  Problem is you have to make um yourself.  I'm getting me a Lee Load-All.

Offline casper_zip

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 01:56:50 AM »
Howdy All:
I agree with you 100%. I have auto and pump shotguns, but I love the ole single shots. What I started with as a kid, and now, the cycle has come around again.
Wish you would share some of your data on the really lite loads in the 12. I'd love to try and use them. I have to be thrifty living in this economy.
Best,
casper_zip

Offline larry1945

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 11:16:39 AM »
yes I am using 5/8oz in 12 gauge.  I have gone down as low as 1/2 oz in 12.  I use 1/2 in old stevens single that has a tight choke.  Cannot tell diff between this load and 7/8 to 1 oz with small shot.  I shoot informal clay targets with cylinder bore 12 but usually go up to 3/4 oz in cyl bore due to thinner pattern.  I also am now loading 1/2 oz in my 20 gauge single.

There is nothing special about these loads as they are from mfg of red dot.  I use their recommendation for 3/4 oz in both 12 and 20 and back it down slightly.  These loads REALLY pattern well.  Yes I did say and I am using red dot in 20 for these light loads.  I am using a load from Alliant's older recommendations.  I called and checked with them and they concurred on the usage.

Claybuster makes 3/4 oz wads for both 12 (pink)and 20 (green)now.  One cheerio (breakfast food) takes up about same space as 1/8 oz shot.  So if want to shoot 5/8 oz drop one cheerio in wad prior to adding shot and will get great crimp.

Just a little general info for those using Lee Load-All.  The smallest shot bushing is 7/8oz so need to go lower.  What I found is if you take the 1 1/8oz bushing you will find 1/2 plastic water pipe slides right into the bushing with fairly snug fit.  Trim it flush with top and bottom of bushing and you are in business.  You can use this technique to make 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4oz bushing for your Lee equipment.  Take a drill and hand ream out pipe to go from 1/2 to 5/8 etc.  No need to glue in 1 1/8 oz bushing.  Been using mine over year and my Lee Load-all is about 30 years old and was bought used.

Hope this is helpful.  These loads are about as economical as you can get and upside is lack of recoil. great patterns and the light weight of the 12.  Loading makes it a .410, 28, 20 or 12!  Have fun

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 05:22:59 AM »
Great info and for many a rediscovery of long lost knowledge. If I been smart enough, or had a mentor (like you) I would have probably shot my old 12 with 3/4 to 7/8 and not 'needed' to get 20's.
I still have the full choke 12, and should get a reloading setup to make some (they really should make these commercially and affordable). Ive only been messing about with shotguns for the last couple of years as the 12 was just too abusive. After trying, and buying a Topper 20ga. I discovered that those loads were fine, even in that light platform. I since picked up a Spanish SxS and an Italian O/U in 20s, but had learned more about what I wanted; namely, a light upland gun. What I didnt know is if I would like a SxS or O/U more, thus one of each. Each of those doubles are under 6# loaded and a delight to carry and shoot. No, I dont shoot trap, so maybe after 50 shots I would change my mind, but for field and woods, they are as nice as the sgl. shot H&R but with an extra barrel. Truth is though, Ive only needed the second barrel for a missed shot behind a running squirrel, so If I did my part properly the sgl. shot Topper would have been fine.
Along your lines of thinking, I was recently considering making 24 or 28ga. equiv. loads for the 20ga.s
BTW, love your Cherrio reloading component  ;D ! We've used slightly mashed Rice Krispies as filler too, it doesnt harden up like Cream of Wheat or Corn Meal.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 01:47:32 PM »
I plan on doing this for my son. He's 10 and used a 410 this year because that's all he can handle for recoil. My state has a minimum requirement of 20 gauge for turkeys so I told him I could find him a 20, 16 or 12 and download it for him. I already have a Lee Load-All for 16 gauge but it will probably be easier to find him a 20 or 12 and get a Load-All for whatever I find.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 03:03:25 PM »
Glad i happened along this thread. Getting a Load-all from Santa.
Wife is a recoil wimp and I was going to get a 410 single shot, but now I am going to make her some 5/8 oz. loads for my 20 ga.
Guess since she will be shooting that, I will need to get a 16 ga. for me later on.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline JoseBob

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 04:18:16 PM »
And Pow Pow you will love the 16 ga. iffin ya can find one.  Took me about 2 years to find and finally trade for a 16 ga barrel, but it was worth it.  I simply love the 16 ga.  I have 3 old Stevens 16's.  A 107B, a 94C and a 940 like gcrank1's pictured above, with the barrel release on the side.  They are great.  I also have a double barrel Russian 16 with hammers, but the one I take with me now is the Topper 16.  I shoot mostly 1 oz loads in the 16, but I figure that I could save some shot by going to 3/4 oz or lower.  Thanks for the Cherrio Information, I plan on putting that to good use.  Bobby
Draw a fine bead on em Son!

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 06:46:37 AM »
X2 on the 16 gauge. I shoot 1 oz. loads also but I picked up some 28 gauge overshot cards (they fit nicely in a 16 gauge wad) so I can play with reduced loads.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783