Author Topic: Horrible alignment lol.  (Read 1451 times)

Offline tjeffords

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Horrible alignment lol.
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »
So I have a 20 ga pardner that shoots about 2.5 feet to the left at 20 yards with wichester rifled slugs. It was benched and only has the front bead sight with a modified choke. Now i know why i missed my deer so much when i was a kid. Dont know if its the round our the gun but i think its a little off lol. So any ideas lol? Oh an i plan on getting a F920 24" Fully rifled barrel here soon. But still kinda curious

TJ

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Horrible alignment lol.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:05:44 AM »
One option is bend the barrel, but adding a rear sight may be a good start.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,88522.msg535464.html#msg535464
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:29:07 AM »
that far off at 20yds should show an obvious bend.  my guess is something right at the muzzle. a burr maybe.  or as quick suggested, you ain't lookin straight.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »
What does it do with shot?  If a load of 6s goes where it's supposed to I wouldn't be thinking of bending the barrel to make the slugs go where you want them to!

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline tjeffords

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »
Shot patterns are fine. Oh and the barrel is square. And all 25 slugs were off.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 12:51:11 AM »
Shot patterns are fine. Oh and the barrel is square. And all 25 slugs were off.
Does the action lock up correctly per the FAQs?  With the gun closed, take off the forestock and see if the barrel will wiggle on the frame.  If it doesn't and it shoots shot fine I would leave it alone and go ahead and get your rifled slug barrel.
Good luck

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline tjeffords

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 03:48:51 AM »
Yea everything is snug on it no wiggling.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 11:43:15 AM »
You shooting from a good solid rest?  Or are these free-standing?  Maybe you're pulling some due to recoil?
One other thing- you might take a pair of calipers and see if the choke section is prefectly round.  If there's a little flat in a side or something, it'd be fine for shot, but might allow gas jets to throw the slug out the end of the barrel.  If you notice that there's a high and low spot, you can find a tapered spindle and lightly tap with a plastic deadblow hammer on the edges that are the wider spots to bring it back to round.  ;)  Kind of like repairing a crown that gets scratched on a rifle, concentricity of the choke is critical for good accuracy.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »
Unless you are going to be shooting deer from that bench, that isnt the way to find out where it shoots those slugs. The recoil impulse, and your bench technique and position WILL cause you to pull those shots unless you are a highly experienced benchrest shooter of heavy recoiling longguns. Also, since your eye is the 'rear sight' the consistent head/cheek position on the comb is critical!
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 05:34:04 PM »
Probably right gcrank1.  I do lots of shooting free-hand but like to develop and shoot groups with rest.  I usually sight/group from rest, then try different ranges and angles freestanding, kneeling and rested standing against a tree.  I find it's best to see what the gun does with a load taking as much of me out of the equation first is all.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 04:40:48 AM »
I sure do agree that it can be a place to start for many shooters. I often have done just so, then a while back (after some years of experience and match shooting) decided that I did know a little something about this game, so my 'initial' trial, especially with heavy kickers, is offhand. With .727 Ol' Ugly Overkill (OK, a smooth 12ga. sluggun)it hits pretty much where Im looking offhand (and with a recoil similar to a light .375H&H, I will not bench it, I dont need the abuse). I KNOW that off the bench it will 'pull' to the side; and that it is me in recoil, not the gun. Other than patterning a shotgun, I dont believe any shotgun shooters test their guns off a bench to know how to 'hold' to hit birds.
A bench certainly has its place, but I think the OP will have better luck seeing what the gun/load does by shooting offhand (and it will hurt less!).

><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 06:04:36 AM »
One option is bend the barrel, but adding a rear sight may be a good start.  ;)

Tim
Just think, then the gun will shoot around corners! ;) Just funnin ya.

Try shooting off-hand (no  bench), using shot at a large sheet of paper, aiming at a black dot in the center of the sheet.  The pattern will give you an idea about where the gun is placing most of the shot.  If it's more or less centered, then try the same with slugs.  gcrank is most likely correct and it's you.  Remember, without a rear sight to use to line up with the front sight, you are the rear sight.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 04:53:40 PM »
Remember, without a rear sight to use to line up with the front sight, you are the rear sight.

That's why I got a barrel with the ventilated rib - I can center the bead in the rear of the rib for consistency, like using a rear sight. ;)   Thanks again, Bikerbeans!

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 06:03:44 AM »
Back when I was a Mountain Man, I shot in Trade Gun matches using a 62 cal flintlock indian trade gun, smoothbore, patched round ball, front sight only, one of the trigger guard scews came up flush with the barrel tang which I used as a rear reference point which acted somewhat as a rear sight, when all was right on my part I did pretty good, even won a scalp lock once against a rifle shooter that was a little too proud in his shooting ability or his lack of confidence in mine!!  ;D The "reference point" was effective enough that some matches required them to be covered with black tape to even the playing field. Making a reference mark of your own would be a simple way of adding some accuracy, maybe a notch in the hammer?

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 04:28:02 PM »
Bend up a little piece of metal into a short 'L' shape and file a notch in it; use black elec. tape to tape it around the barrel where you can get decent focus. You can move it around a bit to get it where your point of aim is also the point of impact.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline tjeffords

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 04:49:55 AM »
ok so i guess it was my fault lol. I put an ATI Shotgun pistol grip stock on it and now it shoot pretty good even with just a front bead.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 05:11:52 AM »
Glad to hear it! That stock must be positioning your head/eye right now; after all, the eye is the rear sight on a rig like that.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline tjeffords

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 05:37:40 AM »
Yep come to find out (after pulling the stock off ) the wood was warped! It sat in my fathers closet for about 9-10 years in a soft case

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 05:44:05 AM »
TJ,

Is the stock you put on your 20 ga adjustable/collapsible?  If it is be careful as some folks have had these collapse when shot and gotten bit. 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline tjeffords

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 06:11:15 AM »
yeah it is. Ive already put 100+ rounds if 2-3/4 in 7/8 oz #6 bird shot. And around 50+ 2-3/4 in 3/4 oz Winchester rifled hallow point slugs. No problems at all.

Im wonderin about what gauge/round they are using to collapse the stock because to me it didnt even flinch.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 06:22:42 AM »
Wonder if you could put a 'safety pin' (no, not that kind of safety pin....) in that?
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline tjeffords

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 06:41:26 AM »
I have heard of some people cutting dowel rod or old broom handles to the stock length they want to support it and keep it from collapsing.

But still i think they are shooting something heavier than me.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 08:08:53 AM »
I dont know.......how heavy are you?  :P ;D
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline tjeffords

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 08:19:49 AM »
lol. im guessing they are shooting something like a 3" 12ga mag round or 500 S&W's. Or the locking pin is not in completely before they shoot.