Author Topic: Scout 243 First Impression Plus Range Trip  (Read 563 times)

Offline Dirt Nap

• Trade Count: (0)
Scout 243 First Impression Plus Range Trip
« on: September 05, 2012, 08:06:15 PM »
Not a lot of info about this gun out there but I liked the compact size and weight so I decided to give it a shot. The model I picked up is the 243 scout compact stainless. First impression was pretty positive with overall fit and finish pretty decent with just a few small machine marks on the frame. I was surpised and glad to see that the model I received didn't have sights, (although the holes are there), but instead had the one piece alloy base cva offers in medium height. It turned out to be a perfect fit to the Weaver classic 2-7x32 scope I mounted on the gun. Quick rundown....the barrel is fixed to the frame via a beefy pin simular to the tc encore, forearm is mounted with two screws, buttstock is ambi and has a real nice recoil pad plus I felt it to be a slim grip, trigger is very decent at around 3.5 lbs pull, extractor not ejector, weight 5 lb 9 oz....loaded up 6 lb 10.5 oz. Very impressed with the barrel in that I go through a small break-in  procedure that involves many passes with patches impregnated with jb compound. I have only done this to about the last 5 guns I have purchased but this barrel was very smooth right from the getgo.....best I have felt.

My range time with the gun was short and sweet. Quick rundown again....Less muzzle flip than I expected from a short 20" barrel, (I know 243 = light recoil but it still surpised me). Federal classic produced easy 1.5 to 1.75  accuracy at 100 yard and it was the only ammo I fired through it plus was happy to see triangle groups rather than a horizontal or vertical groups.

So far so good and hopefully in a few weeks I'll get to test it out on a nice fat blacktail buck.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Scout 243 First Impression Plus Range Trip
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »
Dirt Nap,
 Good review. It amazes me how little information there is available about this rifle. From what little I was able to read about it, it seems that they were in short supply when they first came out, about two years ago. Being made in Spain, it might have had something to do with their economic problems?
I'm hoping to have mine, in .270, by the weekend.
Don