Author Topic: Cannister  (Read 741 times)

Offline Artilleryman

• Trade Count: (0)
Cannister
« on: December 19, 2012, 12:42:07 PM »

For some reason the cannister we fire gives a very interesting smoke cloud.  I think it has something to do with the sawdust that is used in fabricating the the cannister round.

Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline NinjaToes

Re: Cannister
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 02:11:36 PM »
awesome picture  8)
Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline Joey V.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:27:11 PM »
Great pic!  The sawdust is it for sure i noticed it with mine too  i even packed a cannister with flour and i swear it egnighted.  I read up that the finer yoir media the better chance at a secondary flame and smoke plumb.  I found out that factories that grind flour and other stuff real fine have to have lighting and heat etc that can have open flames for that reason.
Joe

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 03:34:21 PM »
The sawdust that I use comes from under my table saw, and is made up of whatever wood I had been cutting.  I wouldn't describe the sawdust that I use as being very fine.  Many people have commented on the yellow cast to the smoke.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 06:25:02 PM »
I've tried both sawdust, paraffin, and a combination of the two in canister rounds.  All seem to give off a huge cloud of yellowish smoke.  I think it comes from the partial combustion of the material. 

I would counsel against using flour, as it has a good chance of burning - darned near exploding.  Coarse cornmeal might work though.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 01:54:30 PM »
Uh oh!  When I make up canister rounds for a 1-pounder swivel, I just pour lead balls in a tube backed by a plywood disc, load, and fire.  No sawdust, wax, flour, dirt, sand, no nuthin' but air and lead.  Am I a bad boy?

Offline bluelake

• Avid Poster
    • 1871 US Military Action in Korea
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »
When I was researching for my doctoral dissertation, I built a mock-up canister round for a 12-pdr. Dahlgren boat howitzer.  It contained forty-eight 1.05" lead balls (12 per tier on 4 tiers), which were placed on a wood sabot with a 1/4" steel plate on top.  The "tin" covering was actually aluminum.  The powder bag was white flannel, made to US Navy dimensions.  It was easy to see how it could easily ruin one's day...

Here is an actual canister shot my son found here in Korea (fired by US naval forces in 1871):