Author Topic: Ballistol ?  (Read 1859 times)

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
Ballistol ?
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:57:13 AM »
I was going to get some, till I read it eats brass. Are you guys using it on brass frames ?

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Ballistol ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 02:33:11 PM »
Never had any problem with it myself except my wife doesn't like the smell. Who says it eats up brass?
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline deacon stone

• Trade Count: (5)
  • stone4570@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »
I don't believe that's true. I use it on all my guns. Even my 1866's and use it on my cartriges after I fire black powder out of them. Never had a problem. Works great.

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 04:22:28 PM »
There ad says it cleans and dissolves copper, lead, brass, zinc and tombac.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 05:19:07 AM »
I've used it for a number of years on all my BP guns and recently started using it on my smokeless guns.  It's great stuff that will do most anything.  It's safe for use on all surfaces.  It cleans and dissolves traces of the offending metals, not brass cases or frames.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Flint

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:14:04 AM »
Ballistol, like most other gun colvent/cleaners will dissolve trce metals in the bore, as will Hoppe's 9 etc.  Ballistol is also a lube.  It will not harm the surface of a frame or other brass parts, any more than any other cleaner will.  I've left Ballistol in the lockwork of guns and there is no problem.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Hellgate

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »
I use it for making a moose milk but don't rely on it for long term storage/protection. I have a little squeeze bottle of it and the runoff on the shoulder of the bottle when left exposed to air forms a sludge. I suspect a more volatile ingreadient evaporates and the texture of the Ballistol changes. My other oils, when drizled onto the bottle stay oily.
Gun control=OSHA for criminals

Hellgate
SASS#3302
DGB#29
NRA Life

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 03:36:01 PM »
it will work as well are better than most other lubes for long term storage

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 04:34:52 AM »
Ballistol is nothing but mineral oil with a splash of Ioso-alcohol. There's nothing in it that would effect brass or copper including copper fouling in the barrel. The mineral oil acts as the antioxidating agent while the alcohol is the solvent. There are far better gun products on the market.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 06:21:54 AM »
Ballistol is nothing but mineral oil with a splash of Ioso-alcohol. There's nothing in it that would effect brass or copper including copper fouling in the barrel. The mineral oil acts as the antioxidating agent while the alcohol is the solvent. There are far better gun products on the market.

Not exactly.  According to the MSDS, Ballistol contains: "medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil from vegetal seeds. The mineral oil is unchlorinated and conforms to the specifications of US Pharmacopeia XX"
for more info about Balistol, see: http://www.ballistol.com/
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline RaiderANV

• Shootin' & repairing everything 1865 & older =)
    • North-South Skirmish Assoc.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 05:53:03 PM »

I got hooked when one of the firearms curators at the Smithsonian said they'd switched to it. I actually meet the maker/owner of Ballistol in the US while fishing on a pier in Nags Head NC in 1995. I was sunburned to heck and back. My wife got out the solar cane and he walked over and said why not Ballistol. We did a half and half and right away the Ballistol side was far ahead of Solarcane. It was originally pine oil based when the Germans invented it back what,,,,,,1903-6. I use it on wood, metal and even slight waterproofing on my wool Confederate kepi. Work great on the work and hunting boots as well. I use it to clean all my firearms (over 119 in the collection) which includes long term storage with NEVER an ill side effect.
Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795
6th Virginny Cav.
North-South Skirmish Assoc. (N-SSA)
Yes,,,,,we use real bullets. They jus' don't let us shoot yankees anymore =(

MAYNARDS RULE!!!!!
starr's DROOL Hence the rust =Þ

Offline Pulp

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 03:20:23 AM »
The Germans used it on all their weapons, and lost two wars. ;)
Pulp, SASS#28319

World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 04:13:25 PM »
The Germans used it on all their weapons, and lost two wars. ;)
yes but the weapons stayed in great shape

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 05:37:29 AM »
http://www.baileysonline.com/msds_sheets/PDFs/ballistol.PDF

The Benzyl Acetate is used in perfumes and makes it smell good. It's an ester and as such has solvency at removing old oils. The salts of Oleic Acid is used as a soap. The alcohols are used a solvent. After these items migrate out or dry, there's nothing left but mineral oil and vegetable oil. Like I said, there are many other oils out there that are far better than this stuff but if yer happy with it- keep using it.

Offline arcticap

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 08:24:05 PM »
The dominant use of oleic acid is as its sodium salt, which a major component of many kinds of soap. Small amounts of oleic acid are used as an excipient in pharmaceuticals, oleic acid is used as an emulsifying or solubilizing agent in aerosol products...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleic_acid

Wikipedia says that Oleic acid is used as an ingredient of soap, not as a soap.
And even though oleic acid is a component of soap. I think that it's purpose in Ballistol is to enable it to emulsify with water. That characteristic of Ballistol makes it much different than plain mineral oil.

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 11:02:03 PM »
never tried  Ballistol i just started using Kroil good stuff loosens up lead in my barrels. really penitrates also use c.l.p. can't go wrong with either. ;D