Author Topic: Monarch BDC  (Read 582 times)

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Monarch BDC
« on: December 07, 2012, 01:47:07 AM »
I bought the new Nikon Monarch with the BDC recticle to mount on a 30-06 Springfield bolt. I was not looking for the BDC, but that was what was available in the 3-12 x 42 that I wanted. Have any of you tried the scope to find out how close the POI is for the ranges available? This rifle shoots a 165gr. SPBT at about 2600.

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Monarch BDC
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 03:16:40 AM »
Prolly my favorite scopes.  I have found that the muzzle velocity is best with this scope is when it is around 2800fps.
Practicing at 200 yds + is the way to get the most from the scope. Using the circles below the cross is the key. What I mean by that is sometimes the top line or the top of the circle becomes the aiming point. And yes, sometimes the bottom of the circle becomes the aiming point.
Zeroing the scope at 100 yds, is not a "for certain" that it will be on at 3=4 hundres yards. IT MUST BE PRACTICED at the given range required.
One of mine sits on top of a 308 and the circle below the x is dead on at 200.
Also have a Burris Fullfield w/ the bal plex. another good scope also.
Being old with not so good eyes, I tend to use this tye of reticle above everything else.
If I don't have a scope with a bdc, I zero at 200 or use th maximuem point blank range using hold on out to a specific distance.
Hope some of this makes sense.
                                              Good shooting and have a Merry Christmas
                                                                                                         Jim

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »
Go to the Nikon web site. They have a ballistic calculator where you can input the particulars of your specific load (muzzle velocity, bullet weight, etc. It will then give you the range of the points on the BDC reticle at the different magnifications.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 12:25:17 AM »
Ive got 4 of the team primos 3x9s that are basicaly the old monarchs with bdc. there great scopes and if you use the nikon program are pretty close to being on at the given ranges. Every gun is a bit differnt so you about need a chronograph to know you speed exactly but ive found for the most part there pretty close to being right. that said i rarely use it. Id personal rather just sight in 2.5 inches high at a 100 and learn the right hold over for the gun its on. Ive found at least for me when a deer is out there i rarely even think to take the time to use that feature.
blue lives matter

Offline greenrivers

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 03:42:42 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. The scope seemed perfect for the highlines and clearcuts, and with the low magnification end allows for quick sighting. I wll look up the Nikon site and check it out. Looking forward to learning the ins and outs of this scope. A friend just bought the new Leupold BDC with the lighted recticle. Looks like the reload stock will get used and fresh rounds loaded.

Offline D Fischer

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 05:19:33 AM »
I've got two Monarchs. Nice scope's. One has the BDC as it was all I could get around here at the time. My take on all these ranging scopes is why do we need them in the first place? I haven't even tried to figure the thing out, just use a range finder and the turrets. I don'h hunt with this scope. I contacted Nikon to see if I could send it in to get the reticule replaced and they turned me down. Even offered to pay for it, no dice. Much as I like the Nikon scopes, that'll probably be the last I buy.