Author Topic: 25-06 help  (Read 391 times)

Offline APEX PREDATOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
25-06 help
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:21:38 PM »
Well i got my 25 06 barrel back from the manufacture, because it was loose. Brian hooked me up, and i was really excited to get out and shoot it. Well it shot decent, but like 3 inch groups, well i though ok i need to break barrel in, let barrel cool, and clean the barrel between a shot or 2 for more consistence shots. But i went out today and wasnt even close to were i left it? The scope is mounted correctly, and i noticed i might have accidently cleaned the barrle muzzle to chamber, which scraped the crown, or were the bullet last exits the barrel.....could this be the problem? I will try to get a pic up if i can....thanks, i would just like to kill a deer with it this fall/ winter....
There is nothin higher on the food chain than me

Offline Yak Angler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: 25-06 help
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 02:33:08 PM »
Well if we rule out the variables below and there are a few others.
1. barrel temp
2. ammo brand/bullet weight etc.
3. Scope is a known good unit/ all mounts are tight etc.

You might want to try leaving barrel cleaning until after hunting season. I took me a while in life to realize that a perfectly clean rifle barrel tends to be inconsistant. My recommendation is to go out and get it dialed in without cleaning. let the barrel cool completely this may take 1 hour or more so bring other guns to shoot while you wait. Then take a shot and adjust your scope to point of aim, wait another 30mins/1 hour and take another shot and adjust scope to match. hopefully by this point the rifle is dead on and then leave it dirty until after dear season is over taking the odd shot each week etc to make sure its still on the money from a cold barrel

Hopefully this post came out matching what i was thinking in my head as i typed it.

Good luck

Offline APEX PREDATOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 03:22:18 PM »
it did! i was shooting 120 grain core lockts and 117 sst superformace....and the 117s key holed a few times so i think ima stick witht he 120s, and just play with it more....could scraping the crown, or whatever that is called screw up performance?

There is nothin higher on the food chain than me

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 04:18:15 PM »
It is possible but unlikely. You would have to hit it with something other than just an aluminum cleaning rod though, especially after just a time or two, not a long term pattern. Every gun is a law unto itself, it has things it likes, and things it does not. You have to figure out what that is.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 04:01:30 AM »
You can easily fix a bad crown yourself, whether real bad or just a touch up, see the crown info links in the FAQs sticky. But read the Handi Basics sticky before you do anything, oil or solvent on the latch shelf will destroy accuracy.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 06:48:58 AM »
They get better with shooting, not cleaning, just shooting.  I take three shots and set it aside, leaving the action open.  10 to 15 minutes later it's ready for another three.  One thing to make sure of, did you remove and loc-tite the base screws.  Is the scope level and rings tight.  Where are you placing the rest, on the forearm, the barrel, or  back at the action?  Put a 1/16" (or there abouts) O-ring under the forearm to keep the barrel from contacting the forearm.  By 1/16th I mean the thickness of the O-ring, not diameter.  That's the most common size I use, but sometimes I need a thicker one or thinner one, each gun is different. 

I shoot nothing but hand loads in mine.  I like the 110gr Nosler Accubond bullet, in front of 57.5 gr Retumbo powder.  That gives me 3210fps.  For the average shooter 200 yards is a good sight in distance.  The 25-06 is a very flat shooting cartridge.  I'm shooting a 6" group at 400 yards.  It'll tighten up with use.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 09:11:42 AM »
Just go shoot it!!!

Get a couple hundred rounds thre it. Keep the latch clean and shoot it.

You can check the crown with a Qtip. If there is a burr some of the cotton will be snagged and pull off showing you the problem. If nothing happens you likely did no damage with your cleaning.

Many of us have seen exactly what your describing. As much as I do not like it, try shooting it dirty. Then don't clean untill you see a obvious net effect on accuracy.

Many times I have left the range with a OK shooter only to return with a shotgun. OR leave ready to give up only to return with a tack driver... Most times once accuracy is achieved as long as your latch is clean and dry the accuracy remains.

Good luck,
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.