Author Topic: Woods Gun With Mild Recoil?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline squirrel_hunter6

• Trade Count: (0)
Woods Gun With Mild Recoil?
« on: February 09, 2004, 06:28:00 AM »
I am just a beginner when it comes to deer hunting. I hunted for deer about half a dozen times this past season in North Alabama. (Squirrel hunting is my favorite game animal by far!) My friend has about 40 acres of thick woods that he lets me hunt. There is a lot of underbrush and trees on his land. The maximum range for shooting would be about 75 yards.      

I was borrowing my dad's old 30-30 with open sights for hunting this area. I would like to go out and buy a deer rifle of my own. I need something that can power through brush. I want a gun that has mild recoil. I really don't like to shoot anything that kicks harder than a 30-30. I would also like to be able to take this gun to the shooting range and shoot it a bunch.

As far a scope goes I was thinking about getting something that has low power such as a 1.5x4x32 scope.

Any comments, suggestions, and questions would be appreciated. :D
Squirrels are my game but, Jesus is my LIFE!   8)

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 08:52:05 AM »
Remington Model 7 in 7mm 08! If you reload you can soft load it for the first year to equal a 30-30.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 09:25:43 AM »
There are plenty of rifles and calibers to choose from, and several at least that will suit your present hunting needs. But take your time and think on your decision, and don't be hasty.

A deer caliber that can "power through" brush is a misconception. Unless you are shooting artillery rounds (or their close kin) your bullets will be affected by hitting even the smallest of twigs. If you are needing to "thread the needle" through brush, your best bet is a relatively flat-shooting round.

If recoil is a concern, stay on the lighter end of the deer spectrum. The 30-30 is relatively light on recoil (varies with load and gun), but there are others in the same neighborhood. It might be a good idea to decide what bore size you will want, and then choose a lighter-recoil caliber in that bore size. I would highly recommend staying between .257 and 7mm (.284) bore sizes for whitetails if recoil is a concern. This way you can get bullet weights that perform well on deer-sized game, but not have the recoil of the heavier bullets. These will be flatter-shooting than their big-bore cousins of similar bullet velocity, too.

In my experience bullets from about 120 grain up to 150 grain (the latter upper limit because you want reduced recoil) are best for deer-sized game. There are really too many calibers that fit the bill for me to list, but the more common ones in each bore that would work and offer good factory loads are: .257 Roberts or .25-06, .260 or 6.5x55, and 7x57 or 7mm-08.

Be sure to look beyond your 40-acre brush patch. There may be a day when you will want to use your gun to shoot a little further than you can now. Make sure your gun choice gives you the option to hunt in as many ways as you can, given the limitations you want in your new gun.

Most of all, have fun choosing and shooting it! 8)
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 10:21:03 AM »
:D Rifle rounds just don't power through brush that well. Nothing wrong witha 30-30 but the 257, 7x57, 7mm08 are good rounds that are nice to shoot. A heavier rifle will have less recoil. If you can try a few like a 30/06 do so. It's a good round and a heavier rifle with a good recoil pad reduces recoil. A 12 guage shotgun with slugs can also shoot plenty good out to 100yds. They don't power through brush that well either. Cutting a shooting lane with a limb lopper is the best way to shoot through brush. huntsman has the right idea.

Offline TCAS

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 02:02:13 PM »
243 Remington Semi Auto is about a light a recoil as you can get.  Or if you want to spend some $$$$$ get a custom Armalite AR-10 flattop version in 243. Plenty of power and very little kick.

http://www.impactsites2000.com/site3/class3_1.htm

TCAS

Offline lubbockdave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 02:37:10 PM »
I'd also suggets a 243--I gots a savage 99 in 243 that shoots like a dream!!

you could also go with a marlin that shoots pistol cartridges like a 357 mag or maybe a 44 mag-probably limit the 357 to 50 yards, but the 44 will do just fine out to 75-100 yards with open sights. if you're looking for something a little different than the 30 30 maybe a Marlin in 35 rem?? If there is a chance you might hunt somewhere that the distances will be longer then the 243 would be fine, or maybe a 25 06...just some thoughts

Dave

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 03:20:55 PM »
Another vote for the .243 and use 100gr Remington Core-Lock ammo.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 02:41:32 AM »
The 44 mag in a lever gun is just the ticket especially if you dont reload.
It has mild recoil with plenty of killing power for deer with the plus of a myriad of ammo available about everywhere from cowboy loads to heavy thumpers. You can use 44 specials at the range and for plinking if you want. If you ever decide to get into the cowboy game you will already have a rifle if the correct model is bought... you have a gun that can be used for more than a couple of weeks out of the year. I like the 45 colt but the ammo side is a different story.
 :grin:

Offline 338

• http://www.cj2j.com
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 07:30:40 AM »
Buy a New England Firearms (NEF) .357 and rechamber it to .357 Maximum. It is the perfect 100yd and under, brush/deer gun. Plus you could use light loads for squirrels. 1 gun for everything. What more could you ask for?
When in the woods, listen for the rumble of my cannon. Happy hunting/shooting!

Offline 338

• http://www.cj2j.com
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 07:33:24 AM »
Oops! I should of mentioned, this is a handloaders cartridge only. I don't know if you load your own bullets or not? But it is a sweet caliber. If your interested go to the H&R talk section of this forum and ask about it. A bunch of us have done this conversion, and would be willing to help you out.
When in the woods, listen for the rumble of my cannon. Happy hunting/shooting!

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 07:27:13 AM »
I'm doing the max conversion this weekend. 338 is right it will make a perfect 100 yard deer gun. 180 grain Hornady XTP at around 2000 fps. I have plenty of guns that would fit your need. 7mm-08, 44 mag, 357 mag. If you go with a max you will have to handload. If I was in your position and was only going to use the rifle for a 100 yards I would check out marlins new 480 ruger leveractin. If you plan on using the rifle somewhere else were shots could be longer I would chose the 7mm-08. By the way don't shy away from the single shots. I have a lot of H&R's they shoot great and you can get extra barrels for 100.00 Just remember you only need one shot if you make it count the first time.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 10:36:06 AM »
My personal rifle of choice for Bama hunting in conditions much as you describe is my R700 LSS Mtn. Rifle in 7-08. Prior to buying it I mostly used an R7 in 7-08. Can you see a trend developing here? Remington rifles chambered to 7-08? Works beautifully.

But for that matter there is nothing wrong with a Marlin lever gun in .30-30 or .35 Remington or even .44 magnum. All are fully up to the task and all have mild recoil.

Your scope choice is spot on. Low power variables with wide field of view are best for hunting in thick areas.

Depending on where you are located in north Bama you might be close enough to set up a day to drop by and visit with me and we could walk up back to my shooting range and let you try a variety of those guns and see what you think is best. I'm about half way between Anniston and Gadsden just off US431. Dunno how close that makes us.

GB

Offline flintlock

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2004, 11:56:08 AM »
I've used a .243 since 1980...it works fine in the woods...either
100 gr Core Lokts, Hornady or Federal Nosler Partition...which ever groups
best in your gun will penetrate through both lungs or through
both shoulder blades...I use the Federal 85 gr HP in field situations...
I sight in 2 1/2 inches high at 100yds...I'm about 2 1/2 low at 300...
if you are used to a scope on your squirrel rifle I would go with a
Leupold vx-II...3-9 x 40...turn it to 3 or 4 x in woods....but as you
hunt more 8-9x might come in handy for longer shots....or for
groundhogs etc...the Leupold will cost about $270...but you can
still see to shoot the legal (in NC) 30 minutes after sundown....
I actually shot a 8pt several years ago because my hunting partner
could not pick him up while looking through a cheaper scope...
Good luck....flintlock

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 01:45:19 PM »
They used to think a good brush gun was a low velocity, big bullet - big caliber job. Now they know that a high velocity, pointed bullet works just as well if not better and you've had a lot of people telling you that. As for the scope, you want something with a wide field of view. The scope you mention would be good. Actually, a 3-9 power would also be good. If the deer isn't running, you have time to crank up the power and pick out a clear lane to shoot through. (It's better to miss limbs than hit them!) You'll want the scope set at a low power when you are hunting, though.

Offline Snowshoe

• Contributor
    • http://www.playfarmers.com
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2004, 04:47:30 PM »
If you look at the ranges deer are shot, [ 100 yards or less], the .30-30 in a Winchester 94 or a Marlin 336 is perfect. My first deer fell to a .30-30 and I still like to take it out from time to time. It kills deer as good as my 8x57 or .243 or anthing else I have used.
Snowshoe

Offline squirrel_hunter6

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2004, 06:33:55 AM »
Graybeard,

I live in Athens. I would really like to visit you and try shooting an asortment of guns. Send me a Private Message and I will get back with you.

I have been reading a lot about varius calibers on the internet and I am getting a good feel on what is out there. The guns that interest me the most are 7mm-08, 25-06, and 260 rem.

By the way, I enjoy your website!
Squirrels are my game but, Jesus is my LIFE!   8)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2004, 07:49:08 AM »
PM sent with phone number. If you wish you can call me and we can discuss a time for you to drop by and we can go up to my range to try a variety of the guns I have. Just need to pick a decent day when I'm not otherwise tied up.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Bob/FLA

• Avid Poster
woods rifle
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2004, 05:42:11 AM »
Since you are already using a 30-30 and it is powerful enough, and it is enough recoil...why not buy a 30-30? I used one for years in Wyoming and filled the freezer every year with shots up to 200 yards.  Never once had to chase one.  

No round will blow through brush.  Please do some research on this and ask those that have done testing.  Shooting through brush will have very negative results.

Good luck!
Thanks!
Bob

Visit our website at:
www.nativeamericanarchery.com
Or contact us at:
naa@nativeamericanarchery.com

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2004, 09:04:58 AM »
I have to agree with PA Joe!  Go with the Remington M-7 in 7mm-08!  Light weight and mild recoil.
Also, this combo is good for game from 0 - 200 yards and possibly beyond!
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!