Author Topic: My new little wildcat 6mmX222  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
My new little wildcat 6mmX222
« on: February 09, 2012, 02:24:30 AM »
I recently picked up a mould to throw 75 grain 6mm bullets. And of course I needed something to shoot them in, so I dug around the shop and found a 1:14 twist Shilen select match unturned blank. I contoured it to match the stock inlet on my Tikka 595, threaded and chambered it with a 6X47 reamer set up on a 222 rem headspace guage. To form cases I run 223 into a 222 full length die, then into a 6mm TCU die to neck it up. A little trimming and I have a case. The TCU die works fine to seat bullets (until I can find a set of 6X47 dies to cut off shorter) and a case full (21 grains) of 3031 will throw that little cast bullet at 2800 fps with good accuracy thanks to the slow twist that doesn't overspin it like a normal 243 barrel. So, I now have something that has free brass (range pick ups thanks to the AR15 shooters), uses little powder or lead, and is plenty powerful and accurate to shoot varmints or coyotes to 250 - 300 yards.  I like it!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: My new little wildcat 6mmX222
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 02:54:28 AM »
Sam Fadala had one of those. said it was a very effective deer round at close to medium range.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 05:01:54 AM »
Nobade...

That sounds like a fun little round.  A lot to be said for inexpensive shooting of efficient rounds. 

Sounds like your shop has a lot of very handy parts and equipment.  Must be nice to scrape around and come up with a new rifle.  Bout all I can find are old scope rings and barrel filler screws.

Silvertp

Offline Nobade

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 03:14:56 PM »
Sam Fadala had one of those. said it was a very effective deer round at close to medium range.

His was a 25 caliber. I have that article around here somewhere, that little mannlicher stocked Sako was extremely cool. I only wish I had one of those little Vixen actions. 

Offline RevJim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 06:59:59 PM »
  I had a 6x47 (on a .222 magnum case) I can look and see what dies I have, would gladly give them to you if you can use them. I "think" I used a 6x45 die, it's been so long. I'd have to dig around and check. Let me know if you are interested.

Offline Nobade

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 01:34:52 AM »
I am very interested! I have been looking for a set of 6X47 dies to cut down for this rifle. That would be the ideal setup.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 04:16:03 AM »
I load for the 6-45 and the 6-47 but have not yet went to the 222 case. I also have a 25 cal. on the 221 Fireball case that is a nice little groundhog gun, and cheap to shoot. It was my wifes favorite groundhog gun, back when she used to shoot them.

Offline Antietamgw

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 08:27:03 AM »
I have several 6MM 1-14 twist recycled but lightly used benchrest barrels just sitting and, wanting a mild light bullet cartridge, thought of the 6TCU first. These barrels are still very capable of .2's and .3's so I'd like to try and work to the capability of the barrels.  I don't have a reamer yet and a friend expressed high interest in building an AR upper using one of these barrels so the 6X45 on the .223 case was the next consideration. Being basically a cast shooter, I don't care much for the short neck on the TCU or .223 case and would prefer the .222 case. Quality brass is available for .222 or .223 but the bucket of once-fired and prepped .223 brass under the loading bench is hard to ignore... I like to keep my cash close to home and one thing I did notice was that 6X45 AR series dies from RCBS were pretty cheap and available. I thought a set of these and a body or body/neck bushing die from Redding might be a pretty reasonably priced way to go for quality dies and would cover loading for any type action and cast or condom bullet. I haven't looked to see if 6X222 dies were available without going to custom dies and $$$.  Any insight on these similar cartridges, especially the 6X222 functioning in an AR, would be much appreciated!
Keep your plow share and your sword - know how and when to use them.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 08:55:57 PM »
I don't have the time or funds for the project right now but....  I've had the idea for a 6mm / .221 fireball wildcat round formed from .357 mag cases for a rimmed 6mm round for use in my Martini single shot rifle... 

I think it would be an efficient pleasant to shoot round and it shouldn't be too difficult to form the cases.

Tony

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 02:48:22 AM »

His was a 25 caliber. I have that article around here somewhere, that little mannlicher stocked Sako was extremely cool. I only wish I had one of those little Vixen actions.
called my brother who's had my book for 15 years now and it was 6mm/222
he probably did have a .25/222 because he was good friends with dale storey and I imagine they cooked up a lot of interesting guns.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Nobade

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 03:08:55 AM »

called my brother who's had my book for 15 years now and it was 6mm/222
he probably did have a .25/222 because he was good friends with dale storey and I imagine they cooked up a lot of interesting guns.

Neat, I didn't know he had done more than the one.
I saw where he is writing for Precision Shooting magazine now. I guess he's still into doing interesting things with guns. I always did like his writing more than most of the other gun writers, I guess I just saw things a lot like him.

Offline Antietamgw

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 03:28:48 AM »
I seem to recall an article Fadala wrote in one of the Handloader Digests about a 6 or 25/222... Didn't Wooters come up with a 25/222? Copperhead maybe? CRS strikes again. How many times have we reinvented the wheel?.... Nice size little cartridges and if they were a tad shorter, we could use 357 Maximum brass to make a rimmed version at a reasonable cost.

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 07:57:43 AM »
I've read a lot of fadala, but mostly about muzzle loaders, 30-30s and .22 rimfire.
I'm a fan of rimmed cartridges.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Nobade

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 02:28:36 AM »
I seem to recall an article Fadala wrote in one of the Handloader Digests about a 6 or 25/222... Didn't Wooters come up with a 25/222? Copperhead maybe? CRS strikes again. How many times have we reinvented the wheel?.... Nice size little cartridges and if they were a tad shorter, we could use 357 Maximum brass to make a rimmed version at a reasonable cost.

You're right there - I have always thought a 256 supermag, or rather a 256 winchester with the body of a max case and the neck/shoulder of a 256 winchester would be a pretty slick groundhog gun in a small Martini action. Just use normal 256 win dies with a spacer under them to make up the difference.

And I think it was Fadala who named his 25/222 the Copperhead.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 04:56:18 AM »
I use 256 Win. dies to load the 25-221 ammo for my gun. They are just a little under size and over work the brass, but no more than I shoot it I`m not worried about case life.

Offline Antietamgw

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 02:08:36 AM »
I have a .256 Win reamer, saw it just a couple years ago :) . Put a barrel on a friend's Highwall. I always liked that cartridge and prefer 25 cal to 6MM, mostly because I have a couple molds and use the Roberts and .25-20 cartridge a bit.  The only thing I didn't really like about the .256 was that short little neck. Guess I've been spoiled with the .30-30 and .30-40, a cast bullet shooters dream cartridge IMO.  I have a .22LR Sportco Cadet in the victim rack now. If Green Mountain hadn't discontinued their little 25 cal tapered oct. barrel, it would be a .256 Win right now. The grand scheme was to strart with the .256 Win and , if I wanted more, go to the Max case with a deepened .256 chamber. A longer neck would require a regrind or another reamer. I know that rimless extractor setups are avail for the Cadets but I like rimmed cases. Darn you folks - that project and this cartridge was not what I needed to be thinking about right now, multi-tasking is not one of my strong points...

Offline Nobade

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
Custom neck/throaters are pretty cheap........hehehe.......

Offline Nobade

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 02:16:32 PM »
You guys were right on about the gun writers! I was looking through my wildcat book today and sure enough, Fadala did the 6mmX222 and Wooters did the 25x222 Copperhead. I was thinking it was the other way around, but I can't trust my memory any more so thanks for setting me straight!

Fadala said his liked Ball C powder, guess I'll have to try some of that. Looks like the ball powders will be the way to go with this, since you can get more of it into the case. So far it's shooting really well with IMR3031 and VV N133.

I have tried to attach a picture I took, hopefully it works. The first is the 6mmx222, then a 223 and last a 6.5mm TCU.

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »
You guys are bad. Shane and I had already figured the next version of the 223 Short case would be 6mm, or go backwards to 20 cal and 17 cal. We were working on scaled cases, meaning one case an exact scale of another round. Too many projects, so little time.

Offline Nobade

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 02:11:10 AM »
A stroke of luck! I called CH4D and they had the proper die set on the shelf! That really makes this easy to do. I remove the expander from the full length die, and run a lubed 223/5.56 case in. Then use my K&M neck-up die to open the rest to 6mm. Trim to length, clean the cases, and they're ready to go. That die eliminates the wrinkles in the shoulder and gives me perfect cases most every time.

I am really liking this rifle! I can't seem to find a bad load for it. The 1:14 twist lets me push cast bullets to the pressure limits of the cartridge with no fall-off in accuracy and everything I have tried was MOA or better. I am thinking I have found the ideal small bore cast bullet cartridge/rifle combo. Full power is 2700-2800 fps depending on powder used, it won't set the world on fire but is mighty good for naked cast bullets.

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 07:01:22 PM »
I don't have the time or funds for the project right now but....  I've had the idea for a 6mm / .221 fireball wildcat round formed from .357 mag cases for a rimmed 6mm round for use in my Martini single shot rifle... 

I think it would be an efficient pleasant to shoot round and it shouldn't be too difficult to form the cases.

Tony

Use 22 Rem Jet cases from PRVI...much cheaper and less forming involved.