Author Topic: Looking for casting advice and for help in the Houston area  (Read 498 times)

Offline fortress49

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Looking for casting advice and for help in the Houston area
« on: September 04, 2012, 07:50:59 AM »
I have a reliable source of wheel weights that I would like to use to cast bullets.  So far, I have probably 4-5 hundred pounds of "smelted" weights that are in ingot form (formed from muffin pan).  I would like to learn how to cast bullets from someone who already has experience.  I live in Katy, near Houston Tx.  I would be willing to trade wheel wieght ingots  for training/observation  with someone who lives in the area.  I have read a lot about it and viewed many videos on You-Tube but I would just like a little more close up observation on how it is done.

One thing that I would like to do in particular is cast slugs for my 12 ga shotgun.  I have a Handi Rifle 12 ga smoothbore.  I would like to handload brass shells with slugs that I cast. 

If anyone is interested in "showing me the ropes" of casting, please let me know!

Matt

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Looking for casting advice and for help in the Houston area
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:07:49 AM »
If you do not get any offers I would recommend the Lyman cast bullet manual. I have both if you get the soft cover it’s cheaper. Casting is not that hard but you really should have the manual. It will help you with Fluxing, alloy mixing, molds and loads. You do not need too buy Lyman equipment. I use Lyman and RCBS molds they are just a little on the pricey side.
Casting like reloading can be done relatively cheap or very expensive. Many years ago I started with a gas burner and Dutch oven. I dipped and poured all my bullets. And pan lubed. This method is Very slow but effective.
Today I use a $400.00 RCBS pro-melt a Lyman 450 Lube sizer many molds and sizing dies, as you see casting just like reloading can be very addicting, and expensive if you let it.

Offline fortress49

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 04:04:35 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I do want to start out "cheap" and from there grow into a more elaborate system.  Thanks for the recommendation on the Lyman manual!

Matt

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:11:54 AM »
 I'll second the Manual requirement! Casting CAN be a fun venture. Lee has a loading manual and there are others around if you look. Veral Smith has a great book on cast bullets ,but it is NOT a loading manual. Wheel weight alloy is great for rifle and handgun loads ,so SHOULD be good for shotgun slugs. My WW alloy runs about 12 to 13 1/2 BHN on the LEE tester. You could test it by shooting into wet news paper bundles to see IF it penetrates enough and expands at all.! In a recent issue of han loader magazine I saw an article about loading brass cases for shotguns. I never even read that article as I do not reload for these shells! :(