Author Topic: Turkey Hunting With Hevi-Shot  (Read 902 times)

Offline 10ga.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Turkey Hunting With Hevi-Shot
« on: February 08, 2004, 07:25:01 AM »
http://www.remington.com/magazine/preview/2003_0511_hevishot.asp
This looks like the stuff to use!
Anyone have any experience with Hevi-Shot?
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 09:14:00 AM »
That's pretty impressive but is it really worth the extra 12-14 bucks more per box than regular lead shot? Hevi-shot is $19.95 box at the Wal-Mart here while Federal and Winchesters in the same 4 shot lead are $6-8 a box.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
Hevi shot for turkey
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 10:08:31 AM »
I patterned my Daly maxi-mag using the Hevi shot turkey load and it really does make a differents.  With winchester Supreme Double-X Magnum High Velocity Turkey Load 3 1/2 #4 shot at 40 yrds I was getting 17-20 pellets in the head and neck of the target.  With the Remington Premier Hevi shot high velocity Magnum turkey load 3 1/2 #4 shot I was getting 24-30 pellets in the kill zone at the same distance.  Seem to me that since I'm not turkey hunting but twice a year the extra money is well worth it.

Dave H.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 05:04:52 PM »
Now experience on a turkey yet, but doing some preseason testing.  So far using #2 hevishot on a coyote, skunk, and a badger.  Badger at 4 feet, coyote at 15 feet, skunk at 20 feet.  I'm going to have to start shooting earlier....

But I have friends that have used it on pheasants (#6 I believe) and ducks and geese (#2) and say it's worth it.

Also, hevishot patterns tighter than steel which patterns tigher than lead.  Hevishot out an IC choke is documented to pattern like lead out a full choke (70% in a 30" circle at 40 yards) because it's flight is much more stable.  Hevi out a modified patterns like an extra full choke (80%) and hevi out a full choke patterns like a super full (88%).  Remingtons hevichoke is supposed to pattern 94%.  :eek:

Anyway, for us that have old fixed choke shotguns, or don't like to change chokes, we can shoot hevishot through a modified choke and get a tight turkey pattern.  On my pardner 12 gauge's stock shell holder I have 3 #2 hevishots and 2 rifled slugs for coyote hunting.  For turkey I'll have two #4 hevishot for calling over fields to have tight patterns and three #4 or #6 lead shots for calling in the timber and have large patterns.

It's a new concept, controlling the pattern size with the shotshells instead of controlling the pattern with the choke.  So far a fixed modifed choked barrel has done everything I've wanted, but I've only been hunting with it for 6 months so far.  But so far so good!

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun