Author Topic: First Post, Info on Yacht Cannon  (Read 3655 times)

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: First Post, Info on Yacht Cannon
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 10:50:31 AM »
The advertizing showed in the link on YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VfGTxJnF9I shows an Improved Hall's patent cannon.  In fact it appears the Philladelphia address is later than the New York address suggests there were changes made to the various issues of this piece.  So the parts dimensions would have to be calculated by the existing pieces.
The sharp eyed will notice several calibers listed in the advertizing & the different calibers MIGHT be different dimensioned.   

Offline Road King

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »
I have checked the two small holes and they are not threaded. I have gone through about 1/4 of my books and still cannot find any reference to one like it. I am amazed that there is not some information somewhere about this company and their products. Oh well I'll keep looking and thanks guys for your help.
Road King
Member of:Marlin Collectors Association Ltd., Winchester Arms Collectors Association
BUFFALO BILL HISTORICAL CENTER, O.A.C.A., H.M.C.S.

"More Guns than I need, but not as many as I want!"

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »
I have checked the two small holes and they are not threaded. I have gone through about 1/4 of my books and still cannot find any reference to one like it. I am amazed that there is not some information somewhere about this company and their products. Oh well I'll keep looking and thanks guys for your help.

Road King,

This is the only advertising material I have on this.

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Road King

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 01:28:35 AM »
The one on the left in the bottom advert sure looks like mine. I do notice the address is has a different number them what's on my cannon. Now if that is their original address and then they moved to 95 it will help date mine.

intoodeep, do you know the date for this advertisment sheet?

Road King
Member of:Marlin Collectors Association Ltd., Winchester Arms Collectors Association

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2012, 08:02:17 AM »
The 95 Liberty St. New York, NY address predates the 126 Liberty St. NYC address. "The Rudder" yachting magazine link that flagman1776 posted covers that publication's issues from Jan. to Jun. of 1908, and the Naval Company advertisement contained in one of those issues gives the 126 Street location, so your gun was manufactured before that date. You'll also notice that the name has already been changed from the "Naval Electric Company" to the "Naval Company".

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Road King

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2012, 08:46:07 AM »
I have talked to guy I got the cannon from and what he has told me it belong to his father who collected back in the 50s through to 80s and was known as what we call today as a "Hoarder" (terrible affliction  :'(  ) The father has been dead for for a number of years and the 2 sons have living off his collection of stuff :o . This cannon was part of the maze of things they have been finding. I have described the part that I'm looking for and they have told me that if they find it they will give it to me. One can only hope. ::)

Cannoneer
So the DOM would be based on information that we have now is between 1905 and 1908?
Road King

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »
Road King,

If you have a copy of Paul Barnett's Lyle gun book you will see the same adversment as the last one I posted. However, it has a third address listed in NY  . He states the ads in his book are from 1904-1907. I can post a photo of that ad when I am back at the house later today.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2012, 11:19:31 AM »
I can't attest to the accuracy of Paul Barnett's 1904 -1907 advertisement dates, which by the way, still don't preclude the possibility of this model being manufactured before 1904, but I think that it's safe to say that it first appeared between 1900 and June of 1908.

This article is from September of 1900.
Modern machinery, Volumes 7-8
http://books.google.com/books?id=W53mAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA117&lpg=RA1-PA117&dq=naval+electric+company+yacht+cannon&source=bl&ots=EW1NzsQQiu&sig=aJkA-BMIC1lpIa2woG6UK4Oo-5c&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7ewpUPbWNOnJyQHOzIGADA&ved=0CE0Q6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q=naval%20electric%20company%20yacht%20cannon&f=false

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 12:24:18 PM »

Offline Road King

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2012, 01:38:56 PM »
I have rec'd a photo of another Yacht Cannon that is similar to mine and is made by the Naval Electric Company.
Road King