Author Topic: new barrel fitting  (Read 858 times)

Offline hammerhead357

• Trade Count: (0)
new barrel fitting
« on: February 08, 2004, 01:40:46 PM »
Why do we have to send the recievers back to H & R to get a new barrel fitted? Is there no difference between the sb2 and sb1 recievers and this is the reason or is there something else?
     If T/C barrels are interchangable why aren't the H & R barrels? Perhaps I'm just ignorant and don't see the big picture.  Thanks for any response..... Hammerhead

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
new barrel fitting
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 01:51:48 PM »
:D first off, you have to have the barrel fitted to the reciever. not all receivers are the exact same. 2nd, the SB1 is a shotgun frame, and the SB2 is a heat treated rifle frame IE: it takes the higher pressure of the rilfe cartrigde. where the shotgun frame cant take it. or so they say. there are 2 different SB2 frames, one is for the rifles. the other is bigger, and is made for the 10ga shotguns. boy would it be great if the where like the TCs and we could just swap barrels. i cant stand sending my gun away for 6-10 weeks for another barrel, i bet that is why i have 7 NEF guns in the closet right now.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
new barrel fitting
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 02:52:41 PM »
YEP :roll:
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline perklo

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
new barrel fitting
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 05:44:51 AM »
H&R/NEF shotgun frames are softer cast iron, and the rifle frames are hardened steel.

It is usually a bad idea to try and install barrels for Handi/Pardner from one frame to another.

The reason for this is after they finish the barrel chambers, cut the rim relief and square up the chamber end, they grind the concave front on the extractor lug to fit the individual frame. There is a certain tolerence between both hinge pin hole location and the standing breechface depth on the frames. Often, that tolerence is greater than go/no go headspace, positive barrel latch function and other factors.

I believe they grind the concave to different depths gun-to-gun to take up this slack.

I have five pardners, and all of them have a dangerous gap between the end of the chamber and the breechface, or if that's okay, don't have positive barrel latch function if you trade barrels from frame to frame.
What I'm saying, and I have no way of knowing your skill level, is that if you don't have the tools to weld up the concave and/or recut it to a different depth accurately, you only have about a 5% chance of a "drop-in" fit...

My 2 cents - perklo

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Wlecome Perklo
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 08:15:14 AM »
Welcome Aboard Perklo:

It's good to see you here  :-D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
new barrel fitting
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 08:30:29 AM »
Perklo I must be a lucky person. I have 6 H&R/NEF rifles. All the barrels and recievers interchange but one. The five that you can interchange lock up tight. I would say you 5% assumption is pretty close though. I think my five are a exception to the rule. The next ones probally will not.

Almost forgot my 22 hornet and 357 mag barrels fit on my topper reciever. Never tried the others because the others are high pressure rounds. The last thing I would do is put a high pressure round on a topper frame.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline hammerhead357

new barrel fitting
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 08:58:40 AM »
I knew there was a difference between the sb1 and sb2 perhaps my post wasn't clear but the question was answered anyway. The ejector is the main reason.  Thanks for the reply  Hammerhead

Offline Leftoverdj

new barrel fitting
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2004, 09:27:05 AM »
Perklo, are you sure?

I know the older H&R frames were iron, but it is my impression that both SB-1 and SB-2 frames of the last few years are investment cast steel and differ only in the SB-2s being heat treated.

My limited sampling also seems to show that the tolerances have been tightened to the point that there is much less spread between frames and that the fits are a lot less individualized than they once were.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline perklo

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
new barrel fitting
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 12:07:08 PM »
Leftoverdj,

Actually, I'm not sure if the shotguns are now - they might be un-heat treated steel. In the past, all of them were cast iron, but I am not sure of production of the last four or so years.

Regardless, if you want spare barrels, it's best to get a recent production centerfire rifle...

Bigbore,

I actually have a couple of shotgun barrels that fir on rifle frames, but I've had no luck at all switching my shotguns from one shotgun frame to another. I haven't really tried switching many rifle barrels. Not only is that much more potentially dangerous, but I'm pretty picky about how my centerfires are. Once I get the scope level to my eyes, get the stock and shellholder set the way I like and add the sling I want, I just don't like to change a thing.

I'm a whole lot more likely to order spare barrels for a shotgun over a rifle.

One of the beauties of the Handi/Pardner - you can afford whole guns about once or twice a year!

Mac,

Hi yerself, glad to be here...

- perklo