Author Topic: Anyone familiar with the Choate stocks and forends for Pardners/Toppers?  (Read 1370 times)

Offline idek

• Trade Count: (0)
I am thinking of ordering a Choate synthetic stock (adult, conventional) for use on my Pardner or Topper single shot. I was trying to find more details on stock dimensions online, but couldn't find much. My search did bring me to this website however, so I thought I'd register and ask here.

Could anyone tell me how the Choate stock compares to the factory stocks in terms of weight, length, drop at heel, and drop at comb? Also, I don't care for the thick, squarish shape of the factory grip, so I'm curious how the Choate grip feels by comparison.

If I got that stock, I'd also buy a new forend. The Store-Arm forend looks intriguing. I don't know if I'd really need it for storage, but I could put some weight in there just to shift the gun's balance forward a bit (they feel butt-heavy right now). But I worry that the Store-Arm forend might feel too bulky and awkward. Anyone have experience with these? How do they feel?

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Anyone familiar with the Choate stocks and forends for Pardners/Toppers?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 12:49:25 PM »
The H&R stocks are made by Choate.  There is a slim profile fore stock that was used many years, it is available online from Choate, and plenty are available used and show up on the H&R classifieds here.  The butt stock is similar in profile to the "pallet wood" found on factory guns.

You can get the specs you need here:
http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/manufacturer/11

Welcome to the forum, and we hope you will stay and make yourself at home.  The people here are very knowledgeable about H&R firearms, and will gladly help with any issue you may have.  Some of us are known as "Handiholics", though  we don't feel owning a few hundred or so should be an issue... :D .

You would be advised not to add weight to the forestock, as it may well break the mount stud off with the recoil from a shotgun....

Ben

Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline idek

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 01:20:18 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I do recall that a few years ago, the H&R website and catalog included synthetic stock shotguns, but I don't see them listed anymore.  Perhaps those are the guns you're referring to when you said, "The H&R stocks are made by Choate."

So the dimensions of the wood and synthetic stocks are about the same, but how about the weight? Is one type generally heavier than the other?

As for adding weight to the forend, I'm not suggesting I'd pack it full of lead. I'm thinking more along the lines of 2-4 ounces of weight (basically the equivalent of storing a couple shells in there). That should be okay, shouldn't it? 

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 01:36:37 PM »
The weight of the synthetic is a lot less than wood IMO, esp. laminated wood.  You can however, add weight to the synthetic via the bolt hole under the recoil pad...I have a couple that way.  You might be safe with a little weight in the fore stock, just don't get too carried away.  I you look at the mount stud, you will see it is machine welded or spot welded in place.

The heaviest stocks are the laminated ones, available in several offerings.  Any H&R single shot stock, rifle or shotgun is interchangable other than the 10 guage and the 12 guage USH, which have larger barrel channels.  The butt stocks are still interchangable.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »
i have 'em on my oldest topper.
they're pretty light, but not flimsy.
durable, rugged, light for a gun
that can be carried all day on a
walking hunt.
now, if you're going to mainly
target shoot or the like, you would
likely want to get the laminated
stock and forearm for the added
weight to help reduce recoil.

buttstock- 14 1/2 inches from receiver to recoil pad
forearm - 8 1/2 inches from receiver to end

wouldn't take for 'em ;)

good luck
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline idek

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 05:42:21 PM »
Thank you sirs. Light is what I'm going for in this case.

I have a Topper Deluxe Classic with both the 20 gauge and 12 gauge barrels (both are 28", have vent ribs, and intercheangable chokes). They use the same barrel blanks, meaning the 20 gauge barrel is much thickier and heavier (more than a pound different between the two).

I also have a Pardner with the standard 26" 20 gauge barrel.

I'd like to set up one heavier gun (with the heavy 20 gauge barrel) and one light gun, using one of the two lighter barrels. I'm still undecided about which forend to try--the standard or the store arm. I guess they are cheap enough that I can always get both.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 05:58:18 PM »
just me, but i don't like storing "things"
in my firearm.
i've had some of those stock band ammo
holders, but to me those are just ok, and
more of a nuisance at times than a help.
i had one of those survivor stocks on a
handi-rifle at one time, but i was dissatisfied
with it and traded it off. i'd rather keep matches,
spare ammo, etc. in my pockets or in a belt pouch
or whatever than inside my stock or forearm where
i couldn't readily get to them.
also, they rattle too much.

just my personal tastes.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline idek

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 06:03:25 PM »
I hear what you're saying. Something I like about H&R single shots is their simplicity and trimness, so it's maybe a step in the wrong direction to stick gimmicky parts on one. I think I'll start with the conventional forend and see how that goes.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 07:02:11 AM »
If you get the swivel stud be careful.  I had one eat my finger up on my 12 ga. 

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 03:58:01 PM »
I have a couple set up with the storearm fore end. It's not big enough to be awkward, its texture provides a good grip and it positions the sling swivel out of the path of recoil. I don't store anything in mine but would not recommend adding much weight as it will break of the moumtimg stud.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline idek

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 12:12:39 PM »
Thanks for the continued input. I ordered the stock and standard forend through Midway. I plan to take the sling stud out of the forend. I generally don't like slings on shotguns.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 05:52:14 PM »

It's also not a real good idea to put much weight in the forearm as it can cause the stud on the barrel to break off. If you do a search you'll see a few refrences to that, mostly in the centerfire forums.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 05:56:42 PM »
i know it's a matter of personal tastes
and style, but i've yet to have a forearm
sling stud bite my hand. i hold very tightly
and pull the stock hard into my shoulder.
if the forearm is sliding through your hand
that much, you must not be holding tightly enough.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline TxGun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Retired
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 08:48:45 PM »
Personally, I like the Choate stocks...a lot! I like both the factory profile and the Survivor version for buttstocks, and I especially like the Stor-arm forearm. No, I wouldn't think of storing anything in it, but I love the hand filling size of the Stor-arm and appreciate the thumbscrew for easy removal. First things I order when I get a new Pardner are Choate stocks...then I sell the pallet wood factory stocks on-line (usually right here), which generally pays for the Choate purchase. Just me...just my personal preference.

Offline idek

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »
I got the stock and forend (the standard kind) in the mail today. Making the forend fit a 12 gauge barrel took some doing, but after going at it with a pocket knife, chisel, razor blade, rasp, and sand paper, I got it on okay.

The gun now weighs just 5.5 lbs., which should make it very nice for casual strolls in the woods and fields. That's a bit light for a 12 gauge, but I like the vent rib and interchangeable chokes on my 12 gauge barrel better than my plain barrel, fixed choke 20 gauge barrel, so I'll just have to select some light 12 gauge ammo.

Thanks for everyone's input.