Author Topic: Lil'gun in .44 mag  (Read 601 times)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
Lil'gun in .44 mag
« on: September 29, 2012, 10:06:45 AM »
Anybody here using Lil'Gun in .44 loads?  I will be loading up some rounds for my Handi rifle and it's seems like it would be the hot ticket powder for this round but the Hornady manual only lists it for the .225 FTX.  Lil'Gun is also the best performing powder for that bullet but they don't list it for any other .44 mag loads.

Lil'gun is the next slowest powder on the burn rate chart after W296...  So is there something weird about this powder or what?  Anyway it rocks in my K-Hornet...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Lil'gun in .44 mag
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »
Hodgdon and Hornady both list Li'gun with several bullet weights in their pistol data.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 04:26:17 PM »
I went back to my Hornady book and sure enough,  Lil'Gun is listed for revolvers.  I don't think it makes any sense why they left it out of the rifle data. 

Anyway all the other handgun loads have the same max charge as with the rifle data so I'll use the max hand gun data as a stopping point.  I really need to get a chronograph, I'd love to see how Lil'Gun stacks up in .44 mag rifle loads. 

I won't have any problem telling the loads for my Handi from the ones for my Super Blackhawk.  I seat the rifle loads out to .002" shy of the rifling while the revolver loads are crimped in the groove.   I seriously doubt my light revolver loads would shoot worth a hoot in my Handi but they will fit but not the other way round.

Tony

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 11:08:25 PM »
Ive got mixed feelings about it. I used to use alot of it in handguns but dont use it in anything anymore. It gave great velocitys and accuracy but it just burns to hot and will eventually lead to throat errosion. I did a test a couple years ago with my 50 beowolf. I shot 10 shots as fast as i could pull the trigger and with lilgun i could about light a cigerette off the barrel. I then did the same with both 110 and aa9 and could still hold the barrel in my hand. Freedom arms wont even warantee a gun anymore that has used lilgun.
blue lives matter

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 02:24:05 AM »
While I don't load for the 44 mag I do load my hot ( Ruger/TC) loads for the 45 Long Colt with Lilgun. I shoot them in a 20 inch Encore barrel from MGM. Can't say exactly what the FPS is as I don't own a chrony but they are scooting and are very accurate. Devastating on a whitetail with 240 and 250 gr Hornady XTP's.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.