Author Topic: Tight primer pockets?  (Read 455 times)

Offline HGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Tight primer pockets?
« on: September 24, 2012, 06:16:01 AM »
I've been loading the same 100 Starline 44 special cases all Summer with medium to heavy loads.  I've only had one case split but the primer pockets have become too tight to seat WLP primers without considerable effort.  I have cleaned the pockets but this made no difference.  I've had 44 magnum pockets loosen in the past but pockets becoming too tight is new to me.  What's up?  Is it time to toss the brass?

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Tight primer pockets?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 06:25:37 AM »
I've never heard of it but it sounds like a good problem to have.  You can always ream the pockets but its hard to make them smaller. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 06:28:25 AM »
Simply get primer pocket uniformers. Then recut the pockets!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 07:20:31 AM »
Have you tried a different brands of primers?   My bet it's the primer not the case.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 07:57:08 AM »
 How would they get SMALLER? I'd definetly check those primers to see if THEY are larger than normal. A plug gauge will tell you if the pockets are REALLY getting smaller. You could also see if the primers are tight in another batch of brass.

Offline HGunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 02:23:13 PM »
The primer pockets are getting tighter over time.  I'm using the same primers and they still fit fine in another brand of brass.  They also fit fine in new brass from the same Starline lot.  I cleaned and reamed the pockets but it did not help.  I looked up the Lyman uniformer tool but it cautions to use only in rifle brass.  I think I'll just throw the brass out and start over. 

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 04:00:25 PM »
could the brass be peining against the back strap?  Or a "hot" (how hot?) load causing a balloon head case to flow the primer pocket back to shallow?  If the pocket is getting tighter from brass moving into it, it is leaving someplace else with thinner brass.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline HGunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »
The loads are heavy as 44 special goes. Around 19 grains of H-110 or IMR-4227 with a 240 grain bullet in a Freedom Arms.  I suspect you're correct that the pocket shape is actually slowly changing due to stress. A knowledgable reloader suggested that I shoot some mild loads through my new brass to harden them before going on to heavy loads.