no more liquids at confuser
bumqwer. !@#!@#!@#
BUMMER! !!

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: IDEAS?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 03:25:41 PM »
with nothing to lose, try rinsing it out and then drying it with a bit of heat.  Saved a phone for me once, and a calculator.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 03:58:08 PM »
Some keyboards have the keys loose in the frame that poke down on a a solid plastic sheet that presses on the metal contacts.
You could take it apart and clean only the keys and remove the plastic sheet to wipe it off without getting the metal contacts wet.
Take a photo of the keyboard before you take it apart.

I spilled acetone on my calulator in college. It welded the buttons to the frame. Had to take it a part and shave the gooey part off.

If you try the rinse and heat thing, use very low heat over a long period of time. If your dryer has a sneaker rack, you might try that on lowest heat setting.

I remember a parody of  the China Syndrome on SNL in the 70's; Dan Akroyd player Jimmy Carter at Two Mile Island nuclear plant and a guy spilled cola on his keyboard initating a meltdown. Called it the Pepsi Syndrome.

The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline magooch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 04:19:07 AM »
The keyboards I have worked on are very simple and easy to clean.  There really isn't much there--just the springy, rubbery thing for the keys and the printed circuit sheet.  I don't think there is anything there that gets killed just because of a little liquid.  Turn it upside down, remove the back, the circuit sheet and the spring sheet and then clean it one key at a time.  Leave it upside down so you don't spill keys all over the place.
Of course the best policy is to keep liquids and other contaminants away.
Swingem

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 07:58:12 AM »
For the first time I agree 100% with TM7.  Skip the frustration, buy a new key board.

Last spring my son left one of those energy drinks in the S-10 over night.  When the temp went below freezing it exploded, spraying sugery syrup everywhere.  Everything cleaned up OK except the radio.  He worked and worked on that radio.  He never was able to get it to work right, buttons still stick.  I finally last week stopped at the salvage yard and bought a replacement radio out of an S-10 Blazer.  Since it is still a stock Chevy radio, and I changed and kept the unaffected worn volumne button and face plate, he thinks Dad did wonders cleaning it up.  Let him think that.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline m-g Willy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 08:07:49 AM »
Well after I took the keyboard apart and swabbed everything with windex and q-tips and let it dry out over night.
Now it is only registering doubles on a few keys and now the q and 1 2 keys don't work at all!
Sooooooo,,how am I able to post this post???
Wife went to K-mart and picked up a new keyboard for $15.00!
( And it's rated as spill proof!)
BTW-Thanks for all the input guys :)