Author Topic: USH 20.... Black Bear......What 3" Slug?  (Read 858 times)

Offline st8tman

• Trade Count: (0)
USH 20.... Black Bear......What 3" Slug?
« on: September 08, 2012, 09:57:29 AM »
It has been some time since I posted on the board....but as I developed my 12 USH years ago the people on this board were invaluable with providing me the knowledge to set up my gun for optimal performance. 6 years later, and I have been fortunate enough to take several deer and Seven Black Bear with my "1 Banger"! The slug that has proven to be my go to...and the demise of all the bear is the Remington 3" Buckhammer. Although Remington dropped my favorite slug from their current offerings, through this board I learned of the phaseout and stocked up on enough to carry me to my grave. I must say knocking a large Bear on his azz is quite an undertaking...but the Buckhammers have proven to be up to the test. AND while I initially heard a bunch of "smack" from my friends/fellow hunters about my "cheap stove pipe", each year they slowly have realized they are getting fat on their own ridicule!
This brings me to my current dilema, and question. I will be getting a USH 20ga. for my young son, as he too has gotten the itch to hunt them thar Spring Bears! Recoil is really not an issue as he is big for his age (12), and has taken deer with my 308 and 7mm mag. I would like him to shoot a full boar slug, much like the Buckhammer, with as much weight and "Umph" as the 3" 20 can develop. The shots are typically very short 25-30yds. What type of experience have each of you had with this weapon shooting these type of loads, and while I realize each gun likes something different, what slugs might you recommend?
PS: Although I may have missed it, prior to posting I went through over 100 pages of the board, and was unable to find a thread that addressed this issue with the 20 USH. Thank each of you in advance for any help or advice you may be able to provide.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: USH 20.... Black Bear......What 3" Slug?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 02:29:01 PM »
As I always say, find the one that groups the best in that gun
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline st8tman

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 04:08:02 AM »
Anybody else......I felt sure somebody would have experience with heavy full bore 3" slugs out of this weapon????

Offline herb40

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 02:45:59 PM »
Remington copper solids great penetration and expansion

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline st8tman

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 04:40:57 PM »
Thanks for the responses.....I think I will try the following and see what if any shoot. The Brenneke 3" "Magnum", The Lightfield Magnum Hybrid 3".....and the Rottweil 3" Lazer available at SlugsrUs. I sure wish Remington was still making the Buckhammer! Kinda strange they still appear online in their product catalogue. I guess what frustrates me and most others...is when a company makes a good slug or any loading for that matter...it seems they almost always either discontinue it or change the original.  IMHO, guess it goes a long way in explaining why American companies are in the dismal shape they are in today!

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 06:53:28 AM »
If you want to roll your own slugs Ballastic Productions has 12, 16 & 20 ga slugs that are advestised for dangerous game.   I have no experience either loading or shooting these slugs but they look cool. ;)   

BB

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi/articleindex/articles/slugs_dgs_about/slugs1.htm
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 03:36:28 PM »
federal 7/8 oz power shok