Author Topic: 223 scope  (Read 695 times)

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
223 scope
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:22:38 PM »
Here we go again, I tried this awhile ago but it does not seem to show up,
I am going to shorten a H&R 223 to a 18" barrel with a youth stock, short arms.  I intend to use it on coyote size varmint within 200 yds and I have the scope rail and hammer spur.  I am thinking of using a maximum of a 6X scope.  I am leaning towards a bushnell banner, 1.5-4X.  As I do not have a lot of money in the rifle I am not going to put a lot of money into the scope.  Any advice or help would be appreciated.  Once again this is for out to 200yds on coyote size varmint.

Hodr
TANSTAAFL

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: 223 scope
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 09:19:15 PM »
Simmon's Pro Diamond, 1-4x.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 03:39:51 AM »
I think the Simmons Pro Diamond is about the best bang for the buck in a lower priced scope, but I can't help but wonder if a little more magnification would be usefull when taking 200 yard shots at coyote sized targets.

Offline geartow

• Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »
I just did my 223 to 16 1/4 inches I am mounting a straight  4x40 tasco world class on it . but it will be a deer rifle for crop damage area i hunt.
Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 12:45:03 AM »
id buy the best 3x9 you can afford.
blue lives matter

Offline Catfish

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »
The best alround scope is a 3 x 9 or 3.5 x 10. I also only buy Leupold scopes, and before you saw " But on an H&R?", I have a VX 111 on a Romaian traning rife I gave $50 for.

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 07:05:20 AM »
Scope I'd buy in your power range is about a $300 scope that you can buy for $120 plus shipping.  Hope this price is OK with you.  Check a place called Natchez Shooters Supply for a Nitrex TR1 scope in power range you want.  Few days ago, they still had this model left to sell.  Most of the Nitrex scopes are sold out, due mostly to them being a darn good scope that was heavily discounted in price when line discontinued.  Don't worry about the Nitrex name.  Box will probably have Nitrex by Weaver on it.....essentially it is a Weaver Grand Slam scope, having same internals and optics and made in same Japanese plant.   Nitrex line was discontinued by a company named ATK, who also owns Weaver.  So, its warranty is handled by Weaver.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 08:12:19 AM »
Afternoon,
 Bushnell makes a fine product, BUT they do not tend to me H&R "friendly"as the power ring and A/O (if equipted) are large and require one to mount the scope higher then is desireable.

Personally I prefer Leupold scopes. I under stand budget so if you have a little time, watch the classifieds or if you mucg eBay and you will find paying the same $$ are you would for a decent new scope you can own a Used Leupold. Remember most of the Leupold line carries a 100% warenty... Its a.  warrenty on the SCOPE not its purchaser as others. Any problems, youy pay for shipping IN to them only. It will come back 100% working order with quick turn around times.

There are many other good choices out there, many of the guys like the Nikon offerings.

Good luck,
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »
To hit small you have to aim small, so buy all the scope you can afford, especially for a sawed off single shot the first shot has to count with.   The coyotes deserve no less.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 02:52:14 AM »
Thanks for the help,
Up until the near future all my coyote/varmint hunting has been with an 16" barrel Winchester Trapper fitted with peep sights 357 mag and no shots taken out past 80 yds.  This set up has stopped everything shot at so far to include Texas hog.  I have a new area up here on the Mogollon rim where the range will stretch out to about twice that.  Thus the reason for the .223.  I still plan to stay with not taking a workable shot if over 150 yds unless I have a hill as a backstop.  I figure that at that range/distance to target a 1-4x or a 2-7x maybe even a wide fixed 4x is all I need.  I know a 223 is a good varmint round but my Trapper is an old reliable friend and I load my own 357.  Under 100 yds it is pretty much a one shot stop on varmint.  I have not used a scope since 1969 but my eyesight is going to make me have to change my ways.

Hodr
TANSTAAFL

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 03:48:08 AM »
Nikon has a .223 BDC.   I like mine.