Author Topic: .280 rem / Barnes TSX / Velocity?  (Read 266 times)

Offline kmittleman

• Trade Count: (0)
.280 rem / Barnes TSX / Velocity?
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:01:32 AM »
Hey Guys,

My father and I are going after Cow Elk in a few weeks and I have a velocity issue to sort out. I've been loading some Barnes 160gr TSX for my .280 rem and have been getting sub -moa groups with it. Problem is that after checking the chrony today, I saw that I was averaging 2180 fps (no wonder the recoil seemed so light). Seems too slow. My load has been 47 gr of H4831sc. How fast should I try to push those bullets for Cow Elk inside of 200 yds?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: .280 rem / Barnes TSX / Velocity?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:29:05 AM »
 I'd certainly check my chrono getting THOSE numbers. You SHOULD be getting 2600fps(+/-). How far from the screens are you placing the muzzle? Is this an average of 5-10 shots or only one! While I KNOW accuracy trumps speed in hunting and LOTS of guys are taking big game with handguns with considerably LESS speed than rifles, this velocity SEEMS low. Try a test with wetpack at 150 and 200 yards. This will give you a visual indication of the "wound " channel at these ranges. I do NOT know at what velocity the Barnes bullet fails to expand reliably. YOUR bullet may be down below the limit of expansion at 200 yards. I'm not sure WHY you're getting such low readings, but I know this CAN happen.I would try a box of factory to see how they react.

Offline swifty22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: .280 rem / Barnes TSX / Velocity?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 01:32:21 PM »
Kevin, Check your load! My Barnes book (#2) has as a minimum load 50 gr. of H4831 (2607 fps) and a max of 54 gr (2816 fps) w/a 160 Barnes original X (not the TSX) which are supposed to to generate higher pressures than the TSX. Even my 7x57's use 46.5 minimum and 50.5 gr as max w/original 160 X's. The Hodgdon web site indicates a min. of 51 gr and max. of 55 w/160 Speer's. It would appear that the velocity is not that far off for the 3 gr. below minimum book load. I wouldn't use an X of any sort in 7mm at 2180 fps velocity on an Elk unless he/she were in a pen for head shot. Also w/a slower powder like H-4831 you may run into ignition problems in cold weather. Good Huntin-Muddy