Author Topic: F41C 410/45LC Barrel questions.  (Read 366 times)

Offline tomtomz

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
  • Loaded for Bear!
    • Liberty!
F41C 410/45LC Barrel questions.
« on: October 22, 2012, 07:28:42 AM »
Can anyone comment on how well this dual-purpose barrel works?   
Is it accurate as a rifle? Seems like a long jump from the case to the rifling.

For that matter, has anyone tried the 454 Casull or the .460 S&W Magnum in this barrel?

I know that both of the latter can be loaded to higher pressures. Just checking to
see what has been attempted. Seems like I read an interesting post of a wildcat
Handy-Rifle (11.3 x 74 or something like it.)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: F41C 410/45LC Barrel questions.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 11:42:13 AM »
I wouldn't recommend anything hotter than Colt loads in it, specially on the cast iron SB1 frame the Survivor comes on, even if used on an SB2 rifle frame the barrel is made of 1137 mild steel compared to 4140 alloy used in modern H&R rifle barrels, shooting 65kpsi loads in the 45/410 barrel could be a recipe for catastrophic failure.  :( Do a search for 450 Mongo, one the typical low pressure rounds created for use in the 45/410.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: F41C 410/45LC Barrel questions.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 01:26:54 PM »
You can't really expect great accuracy with a front bead as the only sight. I sent mine to my gunsmith and had him install a Remington ramp with fiber optic insert on the front and a WGRS for the rear. I'm shooting 250gr.Hornady XTP's over a stiff load of H110 and it shoots good. I've tried a few different hardcast loads sized to .454 but I get pretty bad leading no matter what I try. I could probably get it figured out but it shoots jacketed bullets well so I'll stick to what works. I've shot it a little bit as a .410 and it's OK for close work but nothing to write home about... if you want a .410 get a Pardner barrel instead. All things considered it makes for a good handling, fairly accurate, powerful little brush gun... after you get some sights on it that is. ;D

Spanky