Author Topic: Loading .45C for my new Bisley  (Read 425 times)

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
Loading .45C for my new Bisley
« on: October 06, 2012, 05:02:40 AM »
I just aquired a new Bisley , 5 1/2" barrel in .45C.  Thought I might carry it for deer this year instead of my scoped Hunter. Probably a dumb idea , but there's something about shooting your quarry with open sights..... anyway my question ..Should I go with my 255 gr cast SWC  ( Oregon Trail ) with +P Ruger only loads or just a standard .45C load ?  I've also thought of using Hornadys 250 XTP ( its always worked well for me in .44 cal ) Again if the XTP ....+P or standard pressure.  I'm thinking 1000 FPs ....with out looking , I think thats in the +P range.  What are your thoughts and opinions ??

BTW , I am an experienced handloader ( since late 70's )

Thanks ,

regards irold

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
Re: Loading .45C for my new Bisley
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 06:42:26 AM »
I've got the same Bisley as well as the blue 7.5" version.  The 250 XTP is a good bullet--with a moderate load the last deer I shot at about 40 yards was a 45 cal pass through so it may as well have been a cast slug.  More recently I've been using cast 300 gr Lee FP/GC loaded over Universal.  They shoot well, kick very little in the Bisley. 
Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline irold

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 08:42:58 AM »
Afternoon Dennis ,

Your pass through surprises me.  The XTPs that I used for deer ( and recovered ) were all picture perfect.  Though I'm pushing them at about 1400 FPS too , that may be the difference.  Also , you may have had the misfortune of not hitting anything solid enough to expand them.  So your 300 grainers shoot well in your Bisley ?  How hard you pushing them.... standard pressure .... or high , as in Ruger only pressure ?  You mentioned GC , so I'm assuming high pressure/velocity ?

Thanks
regards irold

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 10:11:37 AM »
Irold   I used to load my cast SWC's in 44 mag and 45C hot for deer hunting - 1300 - 1400 fps.  They worked well, but with the recoil and muzzle blast that goes with it.  My usual bumming around in the woods load is the same bullets and calibers, only loaded to about 1000 fps.  After taking several deer with my "bumming" load, I have noticed little difference in killing power.  usually complete penetration, and a dead deer.   If you plan on longer range shots, using a scope, where you can take advantage of the slightly flatter trajectory, and want maximum down range energy, then you might want the extra velocity.  But for closer ranges, you should find the 1000 - 1100 fps load effective.

Have used the XTP a lot in the past, and have a lot of confidence in it for deer sized game.  But, it is not a bullet you want to load down, and expect good expansion.  Loaded down, it often acts like a solid, with no expansion, and a poor cutting profile, as compared to a SWC or LFN cast bullet.  I like my XTP's at 1200 fps or a little faster to ensure good expansion.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 12:05:33 PM »
If your Bisley is the standard BH frame then yes you can use Ruger data for it. IF however it is a flat top then no you must not use the Ruger levels for it. I have both the standard and the flat top in .45 Colt tho neither are a Bisley.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline irold

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 01:12:15 PM »
Larry ,  Thats kinda what I've been thinking. My ranges will be from 15 to 20 yards up to 60 or so....thats all the further I can see where I usually hunt. That 255 at 1000 should do the job.  That 1000 FPS is border line as far as the " Ruger only " loads go.  I'm thinking 9-10 grains of unique ...or 18 grains of 2400 ...I'll see what it likes.  Guess I just needed someone to reenforce what I was thinking .......Thanks

GB ,  Yep , My new Bisley is the Williams Supply gun ,,,full size SS, Blackhawk frame , 5 1/2 barrel , also has a .45 acp cylinder with it. Been told its identical to the Accusport Bisley .  I really like it. I was wanten one for a long time... finally made the decision to buy. 

Thanks for the input
regards irold

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 01:28:28 PM »
irod:
You may want to check out Hodgdon HS6 powder also.
It gives good velocity and very accurate out of my 45 Blackhawks and several rifles also.
I use a 255gr swc hard cast (15 hardness) ahead of 12.5gr of HS6.
Burns clean, shells extract easy and in my custom 5.5" Bisley it chronographs at 1040 to 1052 fps with complete pass throughs even through both shoulders at 50 yds.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline irold

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 01:35:41 PM »
LONGTOM ,  I'll consider that.  Someone else had told me bout HS6 , it sounds like what I'm looken for.  Where does the 12.5 grains of HS6 fall , as far as max or min load with the 255 grainer ??

Thanks ,

Just checked , its not listed in any of my 4 manuals.  I'm using a Horn , Speer , Lyman and a manual Oregon Trail puts out for their bullets.  I'll see if its in the burn chart ...thanks again

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 03:48:03 PM »
In my .45 Colt Blackhawk, my go to has become a 240 gr. Sierra Sportsmaster HP with 10 gr. Unique.  Accurate and hard hitting, but you don't have to push super hard.  My second choice if there's any chance of bears around is the 300 gr. Hornady XTP Magnum with 21 gr. H110.  It's a wrist snapper though and you don't need it for most areas except in bear country it's nice to have the extra horse power.  The latter load is also good for Moose/Elk loads.  Good luck.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline LONGTOM

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 04:14:10 PM »
irod:
Hodgdon list it in their manual #26 on page 584 in section IV SILHOUETTE LOADS.
It is a full 2gr under their starting load for a 240-250gr bullet.
Starting load 14.5gr at 1109 fps 24,200 cup   Max load of 16gr at 1264 fps 28,200 cup out of a 7" test barrel .452 dia and a Win LP primer.
This loading data is for
RUGER HANDGUNS AND TC CONTENDERS ONLY.
DO NOT USE IN REGULAR 45 COLT GUNS!!!

Under their regular 45 colt loads 12.5 is listed as Max with the same bullet dia and LP primer out of a 7" test barrel.

LONGTOM
NAHC Life Member
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline irold

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 01:39:21 AM »
LONGTOM ,

Thanks for the detailed info....its appreciated.  Guess I need to invest in another manual  ;D   I'm gonna see if any of my buds have some HS6 to spare , rather get just a bit than a whole pound to try things out.  I'm still kinda leanin to 2400 or unique , just because I use it for several other loads.

Tacklebury ,

The 10 grains of Unique was one of my prospects exept with the 255 cast from Oregon Trail .  And the 300 XTP with the 21 of H110 ( I used W 296 )was a load I tried.  It shot OK , but had more recoil than I like.  Thats when I got to thinking of  " Why do I need all this power ".  I'm hunting deer not a T-Rex  .....think I'll go with the Unique.  BUT I do want to try 18-20 grains of 2400 before I settle on a load..   Thanks

Thanks again
regards , irold

Offline LONGTOM

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 04:26:26 AM »
irold:
Nothing wrong with those powders at all and they will all do what you are after.
I used to use Unique but switched to HS6 because it gave me better velocity and accuracy and was much cleaner burning.
Good luck in your quest for a load your gun likes.

LONGTOM
NAHC Life Member
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member

THOMAS JEFFERSON

LONGTOM 9-25-07