Author Topic: The 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Delivery Trip (Now a Movie!!)  (Read 834 times)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
The 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Delivery Trip (Now a Movie!!)
« on: October 27, 2012, 08:42:16 AM »
     Six weeks on the road is way, way too long!  Mike and I are very glad to be back in Broomfield, CO.  We covered 8,850 miles and passed through about half the states in this here United States of America.  We showed our shop owned Brooke to more than 50 interested people from Presque Isle, Maine to Portland, Oregon and fired it in two different locations.  All in all it was great fun and a successful trip also.   We have another Brooke to make!   Hopefully 5-6 months will see it built, but who knows.  It took 4 years for the first two!  But only 9 months for the last one.  Since real work comes before play work, we will have to delay all previously planned experiments, but will be working on the Rifled Tube Blank planning, drawings and equipment organization.

We also took a large quantity of photos along the way.  If some of you are interested, we will create a Ninth,   What Is It?  Where Is It? Contest   with 8 of them.  The cannon seen below is, we believe, a unique one, because it is equipped with a gun lock.  The other view we took contains a good clue as to what it is and where it is.  The second photo is for I.D. and intended use only.  The questions are:  "What is it? and For what purpose is it used?"

Glad to be back!

Mike and Tracy

Does anybody know What cannon this lock is mounted on?  Do you recognize the type of lock?

An artillery related item mounted for use.  Does anyone know what this is and it's purpose?

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline stewburner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Retired Navy Cook
Re: The Nationwide 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Delivery Trip is Over!!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 10:37:18 AM »
A Dahlgren preccusion lock for firing the cannon.

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 03:22:08 PM »
I am glad that you and Mike made it home safe and sound.  Thanks again for making the trip north to see me.  Is photo 2 a pierced tin lantern in a ship?
Tim

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »
M & T,  Great to see you had a safe trip home.  Dom

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 07:24:52 PM »
     Been away from the computer for a couple days trying to get caught up with items on the household “List” I couldn't get to while on the road.    Made a rabbit cage to keep them separate.   We don't want any "overpopulation" around here! 

Stewburner,   You are correct; that is a Dahlgren Percussion Lock.  Most of the guns of this design were used on ships.  Almost all were 32 pounder smoothbores, thoroughly obsolete by the start of their manufacture in 1864.  Believe it or not, this gun had no elevation screw and resorted to a quoin for elevation adjustment.  A huge contract was let and all were built with many being made AFTER the war was over!  Politics??  We will post a different view of this gun if we have another  "What is it  Where is it?"  contest as sufficient details for identification are not included in the pic offered previously.  Good call Stewburner!  Thanks for your participation.

Spuddy,    Right on.  It is a pierced tin lantern, a one candle powered one.  We found it in a land locked fort about 275 mile from the Atlantic Ocean, we we are quite certain very similar lanterns were used on 18th century ships.  This one dates from 1766.  Giving off very little light, it was mounted high, used to illuminate a storge space for large, heavy objects which were tipped over and rolled past a heavy door, down a zig-zag hallway by moccasin clad artillerymen to a separate room where the objects were opened and their contents used in preparing artillery items.  In this fort, why were these lanterns used and where were they used?  Sure did enjoy meeting your wonderful family and neither Mike nor I will forget Paul's giggling when we torched off that maximum blank inside his barn on that rainy day in September.  Northern Maine is very beautiful.  However, I'm wondering if the moose sense we have a cannon on board and are shy about revealing themselves.  Another trip will be necessary to see those majestic and elusive creatures.

Dominic,   thanks for the invite to your home in Pennsylvania.  Sorry double D., but another 5 hour coffee break was necessary so Dom could show us all his very cool new cannons including the revolving type and lots of good looking pocket size ones too.  His shop is a model of efficiency and his separate welding shop keeps the smoke out of the house.  Dom has more irons in the fire than four blacksmiths.  I still can't figure out how he makes his cannons look so good in one tenth the time it would take Mike and I.  I hope he doesn't think we are stalking him, because a week after we visited him at home, we ran into him at a large gunshow in the Philladelphia Event Center near King of Prussia, PA.  That revolving cannon sure looked great with a coat of grey and black paint!!  Yes, we stayed out of his way when he was talking with customers.  Thanks for those barbette guns, Dom.  We will test those and the two Dahlgren guns we ordered from you the next time we go shooting.

Despite the lack of enthusiasm for a Nineth Contest, we will probably create one anyway.  After all, if we had waited for all our relatives and friends to give us the thumbs up to quit our corporate manufacturing jobs and strike out on our own to create our small manufacturing business, we would still be waiting now, 16 years later!!  The picture below shows you just one of the many British/Colonial forts built during or at the end of the French and Indian War.  Mike is playing the part of a loyal British Colonialist in 1765 defending the fort from probing by French military patrols.  The lantern is located in this fort in western PA.

Tracy and Mike

Where is your uniform, militiaman??  Despite being noticeably out-of-uniform, Mike, being a former military man, knows how to follow orders.  He is waiting for the order to fire after hearing the prepatory command:  "Prepare to CLICK!"  followed shortly thereafter by the command of execution: "CLICK YOUR BICS!".  Now if this were a French fort, the pronunciation of that command would be:  "CLICK YOUR BEEKS!"

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 08:16:43 AM »
even though it's a reproduction did you or Mike not the number on that little swivelgun?  I had No. 24  years ago and now I have No.2  they are a nice size.... I am surprised Mike did see if it would have fitted in his pocket ::)  but I guess someone might have noticed......

By the way....  I know Mike knows better than to light a touch hole full of powder with a Bic lighter...... good way to get hurt.......... I once was trying to set up a linstock to light a small howitzer with and the fellow "helping" volunteered to use his Cigar before I could stop him...... he had no cigar and singed fingers for his efforts........yeah I know... it worked in the movies.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 02:48:22 PM »
Kabar,
Do you know if any of the sponsors makes or could make the swivel gun?
Spuddy

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 08:05:51 PM »
     Shooting the 7" Brooke at the Virginia NRV Shoot in Hiwassee, Virginia was lots of fun, but we would not be honest if we didn't show you one mistake we made and also why it was not worse than it was.  We always store our ready to use, aluminum foil wrapped powder cartridges in a closed tin box at least 25 feet behind the firing line and 10 feet to the upwind side of the gun.  These precautions saved our butts during this shoot. 

What happened was this:  There was a stiff headwind coming from 1 o'clock across the firing line.  Someone left a full roll, (50 feet) of 1/16" fuse on the shooting bench adjacent to the wood and steel rails that the upper carriage follows during recoil.  Lighting the fused gun with a propane torch, Mike just barely had time to place it under the bench when a large flare occurred on the bench, sending a large cloud of smoke and sparks rearward.  The sparks traveled 10 to 20 feet.  As soon as the smoke cleared in about 1.5 seconds, the gun fired sending the 120 Lb. carriage and tube hurtling back on the steel shod rails toward Mike.  Recovering from the startling FUSE FLARE-UP, he barely had time to raise his hands up to halt the recoiling carriage.  He blocked it just as it stopped on it's own, half on and half off the rails.

The powder box was off to the right of the spark impact zone and outside it also.  The cover was securely closed.  One moment of inattention is all it takes.  We hope you all understand what happened here and learn from it.  Powder AND Fuse should be secured before firing!!  Of this, we are now sure!  The stills below were captured from a short video clip which we will post tomorrow if time permits.  Fortunately this was the last shot of the day, because all of our fuse disappeared in the flare.  Gary got some from my son and sent it to Spuddy's house in Maine.

Except for lots of rain, everything went beautifully in Presque Isle, Maine.  We shot 3 blanks from his friend's barn and it was fun.  First time EVER shooting a blank for us.  Because we were partly in the barn, my ears were ringing for three days despite ear plugs!  See photo below.

Tracy and Mike

The Fuse Flare-Up.

The Cannon fires 1.5 seconds after the fuse flared.  Can you see where Mikes hands are?  He recovered just in time to catch the recoiling gun.

Our first Blank is fired from a sturdy pallet platform inside Paul's barn.  The noise was deafening!!  Bore size is 1.167" and the load was a regular aluminum foil, 3 wrap, load of 518 grains of BP.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 04:19:19 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experience, which is a lesson for all of us, and your photos.  I am interested in seeing the video when you get a chance to post it.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 06:47:56 AM »
That looks like it could have gotten exciting........ it might be a good practice to not only store powder in a metal sealed container but to also pre cut fuse and store in a seperate box..... makes loading more efficent and safer...... Glad Mike didn't suffer injury from this little flash in the pan......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: The 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Delivery Trip (Now a Movie!!)
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 01:52:35 PM »
     I just tried to add an  EXPLOSIVE  Movie.   Artilleryman, as you and most other members know, shooting artillery is similar to flying general aviation.  In a serious aviation accident, usually several things went wrong and the cumulative effect was that a serious accident occurred. In our incident one mistake was made, but other precautions were observed,  preventing a serious accident.  Hope this movie works; my son was not here to help me.  KABAR2,  Good suggestion, we will seriously consider it.  Mike, a former Gunner's Mate did not panic, nor did he desert his post.  After all, if you are lead man on a Navy firefighting hose and you lose it, very bad things can happen, quickly!

Tracy

The Movie clip showing the entire incident at the NRV Shoot in Virginia. 
Make sure to hit the fullscreen icon.

[embed=425,349]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4fc0saR4PlU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: The 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Delivery Trip (Now a Movie!!)
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 03:23:57 PM »
I also have a video - from a little closer.

It seems that the NRV 'n'th AA M&C S is a learning experience each time we hold it!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)