Author Topic: Barrel Worm  (Read 1345 times)

Offline docbob5707

• Trade Count: (0)
Barrel Worm
« on: March 16, 2013, 08:54:27 AM »
Hi Mates - I have a Herns 2/3rd scale Six Pounder with a 2 1/4 bore being shipped in the next week - I'm gathering the tools I need to service the gun and made note of the Barrel worm offered by Dixie Gun Works for around $20 - It states that the worm is 2" in Dia - is that the correct Dia. I need for the Herns barrel? or do I need to find one that is 2 1/4"? Any advice is appreciated Thanks.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: Barrel Worm
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »
docbob,
For $20 I'd say it's a perfect fit.
You would never find one even close to that price anywhere else.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 09:12:23 AM »
The two inch worm will be fine.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline brass cannon

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 09:14:40 AM »
That worm works fine for anything from 2 1/4 to about  5.  It won't fit in a 2 since it is slightly over 2". I have several of that worm that I use in my 3 and 4 pndrs.  BC

Offline docbob5707

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:31:12 AM »
hanks Mates - I'm going to place an order today - I'll post pics when the barrel arrives and I tart the build.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »
I have ordered there 2" worm. I applied it to a dowel rod as they instructed but regretted it. Be sure to turn down your dowel rod down on the one end for a seamless transition from wood to worm.

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 05:13:57 PM »
I have the Dixie Gun Works worm and it is very good quality.  Definitely turn down the end of the dowel (I just spun the end on a metal grinding wheel for a while).  At first I had trouble with it being secured, then I epoxied it in, drilled a hole in the side, and screwed in a round headed wood screw for shear strength when twisting.  It hasn't budged in years.  Perfect size for 2.25 bore.  2.25 worm might stick or scratch.

Offline docbob5707

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 07:17:59 AM »
Great advise and tips - Again Thanks so much  Mates

Offline clum sum

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 02:14:12 PM »
Dexie worm works fine I bent the tips out a little and have never left any thing in the bore. As soon as you unpack the barrel shine a bright light down the  bore check for bulges in the liner and if the liner is concentric with the out side of the barrel. Happy shooting.
A man's hand shake is his bond.
                     Joe R. Risley Jr.

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 05:30:17 PM »
  Wrap a turn of cloth around it for tighter clean,  I use a 8 In. chimmey brush for my bowling ball mortors with a pillow case wrapped on it. Nice tight fit. Joe

Offline buzz36

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »
i to waiting my herm barrel to arrive and was searching for tools thanks for the heads up

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 08:42:50 AM »
I would like to mention another source for barrel worms and other tools for B/P cannons. Contact Dominick, who is on the site a lot and he can hand make one for you. I dont know if it would be cheaper than a Dixie  Works wormbut it would never have to be replaced.   My 2 cents.

Offline docbob5707

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 05:49:18 PM »
 Thanks guys – I ordered and received the worm from Dixie Gun Works – looks good - will have to wait to see how well it works – I was wondering about some sort of bore brush – have two for my Napoleon but it’s  only .68 cal. – LOL. I’m still waiting for the barrel from Herns – called Joel at the foundry - he said that they had problem with a sand conveyor that pours sand for their molds and it took a week and a half to repair soooo……….. Patience is a virtue right? - LOL

Offline cjensen

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »
I have that Hern barrel and that Dixie Worm. It will work great.
My goal in life is to have a carbon footprint the size of Al Gore's. I can be living the good life and know I am not causing global warming. Make Al your carbon standard.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 03:38:55 PM »
Thanks guys – I ordered and received the worm from Dixie Gun Works – looks good - will have to wait to see how well it works – I was wondering about some sort of bore brush – have two for my Napoleon but it’s  only .68 cal. – LOL. I’m still waiting for the barrel from Herns – called Joel at the foundry - he said that they had problem with a sand conveyor that pours sand for their molds and it took a week and a half to repair soooo……….. Patience is a virtue right? - LOL

You don't need a brush, you need worm, Rammer and some swabs dry and wet.  I make most of my swabs from paint rollers and shotgun mops.

Offline docbob5707

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 08:22:41 PM »
Thanks DD - I saw those in another post - swabs - using paint rollers - thought it an excellent idea - are there rollers out there 2 1/4" in dia.? - Got the big box stores; Home Depot, Lowes and Menards close by so I can go take a look.
I use the shotgun mops also - on my .69 cal Napoleon.

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 08:43:53 AM »
A regular roller is perfect for a 2.25".  If you get a heavy duty pole from Home Depot, the fit will be close enough that you can epoxy it over the pole without a lot of space.  You still need to get a disc shape to go over the end (carpet or wool) for cleaning the end of the bore.  That's the one problem with the roller used as a sponge. 

Offline docbob5707

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 08:50:37 AM »
Very kewl - an I can do that!!!! Thanks - I think the use of paint rollers as swabs is a great idea - Very disposable an not at a bad price - Thanks so much for the info. Looks like I'll have all the tools ready before the barrel gets here - LOL

Offline buzz36

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »
yes hern is running behind at this time  joel called me as well told me delay about two more weks as well
what kind of loads are folks useing as well as  types of projectiles