Author Topic: Whatda-u-think???  (Read 811 times)

Offline Duce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Whatda-u-think???
« on: February 09, 2004, 04:22:48 PM »
Fellars: In another post "GB what do you think of us now" Daveinthebush suggested we give our howdies or I found you ect by PM. I have no objection to it being done on the board for awhile. What I 'd like to ask everyone to do is to check in and after a week or so delete it. Then in about 2 1/2 weeks, with Mac's agreement, and if no one's objection I'd like to go through and clean house, greeting-wise. This will supposedly keep thing running smoothly. What do ya think???? <>< :D Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Whatda-u-think???
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 04:50:40 PM »
Isn't Dave talking about the server getting bogged with outgoing emails generated by posts saying "hello"?  When we signed up we have the option for email notification when a post is updated, the "always notify me of replys" email option.  I have mine set to no.

How about if graybeard says the email server is getting bogged that we go in and change our profiles.  If I understand the situation that dave described correctly deleting posts will not address the situation.

but that's just the network/server admin in me talking...  :wink:

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Whatda-u-think???
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 07:35:48 PM »
Yes Scruffy is correct. I have no problem with you doing away with the "hi, glad to be here or glad you got here" posts but don't think it really matters that much one way or another. Matt has assured me that the database the forums are in isn't on the same server as the operational programming. He tells me that we have no finite limits to the size the database can grow to. Now that's kinda hard for me to believe but he knows a whole bunch more than me about such matters.

For some reason however the PM system is not seft cleaning. Dunno why. But they don't disappear when they drop off the bottom of your various boxes. They are still sitting on the system taking up space. Now I have a concern that sooner or later this is going to shut the PM system completely down. So in effect if the guys use PMs rather than posting here it could have a more serious effect if they don't delete the PMs after they've been read. Now I might be wrong on that too. There might be no limit to the size of that database either. BUT a time or two we've had problems when PMs didn't go thru even when I know they were sent. We've had some just mysteriously disappear too. Why I honestly don't know.

So when using PMs I'd like for you to police those up and delete them after they've served their purpose whatever that purpose might be. Don't over use the save function. If you want to keep one long term save it to your hard drive not the save box. After 25 there the next one bumps off one anyway.

On the e-mails I don't know what effect that might have. I do know for some reason at some times I cannot sent an outgoing e-mail on any of my three GBO accounts. I always wonder if it is because so many are being sent out to notify folks of PMs or messages or whatever.

I'd like folks to not check that option to notify via e-mail of PMs or Messages but am not saying you absolutely can't. I'm not even sure it matters to the system. I know I'd sure not want to be told every time a post is made on this forum. Wow would that be a lot of e-mails a day. I use it only when I put something on a Classified Forum to sell personally.

We're going to be moving to a new dedicated server some time in the next week to 10 days. Likely I won't be able to give much if any advance notice. There is no mass post function on this software and I can't and ain't gonna try to put it on all forums immediately before it happens.

BUT when it happens we will go down for a short period. Not sure how long. Hopefully the time will be measured at most in hours. Don't panic. We'll be right back up soon and on a dedicated server that should give us even better service. I do hope to make an announcement on all forums to this effect in the next day or so but I can't tell you the exact when or how long it will affect us. Just don't worry. We'll be back up after a short delay for the switch over. No URLs will change. Except for the down time it will be seamless to you.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Daveinthebush

What I meant was....
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 07:48:48 PM »
For instance I read the posts for the .357 Maximun since I just did mine.  If someone just says "Hi!", then I get an email notifying me of the post.  

This is quite distracting to my students as I have to check my email to see if there was anything important that I really needed to know that was more important than their education.  :)

No one has figured out "Edeghoyeneeghaaleedeneek" yet hey!
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline Daveinthebush

Hey Bill!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 07:53:08 PM »
Bill if this site grows to number 1 can I get an increase in pay?  Like 10% more than I am making now :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Whatda-u-think???
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 11:20:58 PM »
Duce:

I still don't think it's such a bad idea,to clean up all the old "Hi" post,especially if there is only a couple of post to it..It may or may not help the sever situation,but it will definatly make the search engine a little quicker  without having to show all of a posters 1 liners if doing a search for his post.

Dave...10% more???

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Cracker

Whatda-u-think???
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 02:38:56 AM »
:wink: 10%.  That is a pretty big pay raise.  Of course any percent of zero is still, Yah, I won't say it.  I just thank you guys for moderating.

Speaking of some logistics.  How do you get the little bullets next to your name be hightlighted.  I notice all the new guys are one bulletors, but all you moderators have a full five bullets.  Just wondering.

Thanks Again.

Cracker

Offline Daveinthebush

Bullets
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 04:31:35 AM »
Moderators get five bullets and GB can have as many as he wants. It is his site.

You other guys have to earn them by taking us moderators on free hunting and fishing trips.

Or. was it by the number of posts you make??? :roll:

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
Whatda-u-think???
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 04:40:27 AM »
Dave if I take you snipe huntin how many bullets do I get. :lol:  :lol:

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline Cracker

Whatda-u-think???
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 05:09:06 AM »
If it gets me a bullet, you can come do all the free hunting in my backyard you want and if you got a pole the stream behind the house has to have something in it. :)  :)  :)

Thanks for the fun.

Cracker

Don't forget to bring MAC with you.

Offline Daveinthebush

Bigborefan
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 05:22:48 AM »
Bigbore: I was a Scout Master for seven years so I am well aware of snipe hunting, sky hooks and wind deflectors. Lots of fond memories there.

Just keep postin guys.  A man can never have too many bullets! :D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Whatda-u-think???
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 06:22:16 AM »
Sure Dave, why not. I should be able to afford a 10% raise in Moderator's salaries.  :-D

Ya get more bullets as ya make more posts. Moderators get theirs sooner for all the hard work they put in. I think your second comes at 100 posts. Don't recall the exact break down as I've not looked in a long time but seems the break point numbers might be: 100,250, 500 and 1000. That should be kinda close anyway.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!