Author Topic: How often do used barrels fit without modification?  (Read 15264 times)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: How often do used barrels fit without modification?
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 06:30:47 AM »
I doubt it is the latch. If you removed the latch and the barrel still sits the way it does that would pretty much prove it. If you think the end of the shelf is hitting the breach face put some lipstick on it and close it up, see the contact area.
I can be wrong, but done this way metal isnt being removed to find out what is really happening.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2011, 06:43:48 AM »
Thanks G.
It was a complicated fit, but I got there.

Barrel face against the receiver,   Latch against the latch shelf,   and   underside of the barrel lug against the receiver shelf.

Tight

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 08:19:35 AM »
cw nice job had not had but one barrel fittup problem but tried different receiver and it fit that one good i have been lucky. ;)

Offline HR308shootin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 03:04:34 PM »
i have a 308 ultra with the 22 inch barrel, does h&r make a 26 in. for these guns? id like to have one.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 04:02:27 PM »
you'll have to look at H&R1871 website
accessory barrel program to see or one
of the more knowledgeable folks
here can tell you (probably off the top
of their head)
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »
25-06 and 280 rem are the only 26" to my knowledge.  Buffalo Classics are 32" .45-70
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline jkpq45

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 08:01:26 AM »
I've bought three used barrels (20 ga, 12 ga, and 243 Bull Barrel).  Had to shim the pivot pin every time--on lockup, the breech-barrel fit was too loose.

The 243 Bull needed three layers of beer can to shim correctly--I'll see if I can rig up some way of gluing them in place or replacing them with a more wear-resistant type of metal.

Offline Hunter6657

• Trade Count: (62)
  • Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2012, 03:14:39 PM »
I bought a 35 Whelen handi and then just found a 35Rem/444 camo combo. The 444 barrel fits the Whelen frame just fine and so does a 223 bull barrel I bought off the classifieds here. the 35Rem barrel has a tiny amount of play on the Whelen frame but it will stay on its fitted frame.
i bought a 20ga barrel out of the parts bin of a local pawnshop and put it on my huntsman frame and it fit but had some play which was cured by one thickness of coke can on the frame pin.
I doesn't fit on the Whelen frame.
God created man, Col. Colt made him equal.

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2012, 08:11:50 PM »
bought a nice 20 guage two days ago to fit my 357 barrel to it locks up a little so i filed the shelf till it locked up good .stoned it smooth to took it to the range shoots real  good .you have to snap it shut hard got home a took about .001 off the face of the barrel chamber now it locks up easier. fun project. put a  plastic stock on it that i had new didn't like that put the wood stock back on with snabble fore end much much better. thanks to facts g.b.o it was easy. now i need another project. ;D

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2012, 01:51:49 AM »
My experiences lead me to believe that the chance a random barrel will fit a single receiver without modification is low. That is why if you can afford it, you increase your odds dramatically by owning multiple receivers. I keep the ones that are slightly different size wise from any others I have.  I will say this though, I have had about 10 Handi rifles made on the CBA frames and for some reason, perhaps coincidence,  the barrels seem to swap well between them. Perhaps H&R has made some improvements in this area, I don't know.

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2012, 09:02:36 PM »
bought a 20 guage last week to fit my 357 to. it locked up but not enough filed the shelf in the barrel locked up good enough took it to the range shot real good until the barrel leaded up took it home cleaned it real good .barrel release button was a little tight took about a .oo1 of the face of the barrel beach area now it really locks up good. thanks to facts and g.b.o it was easy.put a plastic stock set on it i didn't like it i am old school put the wood back on with the snabble fore end really loos nice. ;D